Prospect Irving to visit today

As the 2009-2010 season gets ever closer, head coach Mike Krzyzewski and the Blue Devils hope to lock up a top recruit for the following season—ideally this weekend.

High school senior Kyrie Irving, the No. 6 prospect in the country according to Scout.com, is set to take his official visit to Duke today.

The point guard from Elizabeth, N.J. is said to be considering other schools including Kentucky, Georgia Tech and Texas A&M.

Indiana was long considered one of the favorites to land Irving, but he indefinitely postponed an official visit to the Hoosiers last week.

Irving’s uncle, Sye Dean, told blogger Adam Zagoria Sept. 18, “Indiana is out”, and the Blue Devils might be in position to swoop in, said Dave Telep, Scout.com’s national recruiting director for high school basketball.

“This is a guy that Duke has an excellent chance to get, and we’d be naive to think that Duke can’t get him,” Telep told The Chronicle. “I know that he has a lot of visits scheduled, but [Duke has] an excellent shot. And Duke wants to lock this guy up this weekend.”

Telep described Irving as one of the more mature players in the high school Class of 2010, and on the court, Telep said Irving’s speed, scoring ability and ball distribution make him one of the best unsigned players.

Irving is listed at 6-foot-1 and 165 lbs.

“He would be a starter right away at any program in the country,” Telep said. “He gives a presence not seen at that position [at Duke] since Chris Duhon.”

According to Zagoria, Irving intents to study journalism in college, and Irving’s father Drederick confirmed that the Blue Devils were near the top of his son’s list.

Duke is still pursuing two of Scout’s top three players in the country, No. 1 Brandon Knight and No. 3 Harrison Barnes. The Blue Devils have already signed prospect Joshua Hairston for next year’s class.

Andy Moore contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Prospect Irving to visit today” on social media.