SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Daniel Tweed-Kent’s first goal lifts Duke to ACC upset

Following three relatively easy wins to start the season, Duke knew the going would get much tougher when it traveled to face No. 16 Virginia (2-1, 0-1 in the ACC) Friday night. The Cavaliers were faster, more talented and more experienced than any team the No. 19 Blue Devils had faced—not to mention the fact that they would be supported by nearly 5,000 fans at Virginia’s Klöckner Stadium.

When the Blue Devils (4-0, 1-0)) found the energy for a game-winning goal after 101 grueling minutes, however, they showed their preparation had made them tough enough to answer the call and complete the 1-0 double-overtime upset.

“It means a great deal to us because it justifies all the hard work the players put in last spring,” head coach John Kerr said. “To go into overtime, even the second overtime at full strength and with a willingness to go forward to get numbers into the box is a tribute to what this team has done to keep its fitness level at a high rate.”

From the outset, Virginia showed that the Blue Devils would need every bit of that offseason conditioning. The Cavaliers controlled possession for most of the game, and the Duke defense found itself constantly chasing and scrambling to keep the scoreboard clean. Virginia outshot the Blue Devils 14-8, and earned five corner kicks to Duke’s four.

Freshman goalie James Belshaw and the four Duke defenders were up to the task, however, and held the Cavaliers scoreless for all 101 minutes of play.

“James is really taking his game to another level,” Kerr said. “His communication and presence are very comfortable for our team. His communication has allowed the back four to feel very solid.”

The starting defensive combination of Christian Ibeagha, Andrew Wenger, Nik Sih and Matt Thomas needed to be solid against an extremely skilled Virginia attack. The Cavalier offense returned 92 percent of its scoring from a year ago and features sophomore Tony Tchani—one of 38 finalists for the Missouri Athletic Club’s Hermann Trophy, awarded to the college game’s best player each year.

The Blue Devil back line was put to the test the most in the last 15 minutes of regulation, when Belshaw was forced to make two clutch saves and endure nearly relentless pressure just to force overtime.

“[The Cavaliers] had a pretty good portion of the possession throughout the game,” Kerr said. “We had to chase the game a bit to make sure we were evened up with them to get to O.T.”

In the second overtime period, Christopher Tweed-Kent worked the ball into the box to freshman Ryan Finley. Finley turned and fired a shot only to have it blocked by a Virginia defender. The ball took a fortuitous bounce and landed at the feet of Cole Grossman, who took his own shot at winning the game. This time, the Virginia goalie foiled Duke’s hopes by parrying the shot away.

Blue Devil sophomore Daniel Tweed-Kent would not let the Cavaliers escape again, however. Perfectly placed, he picked up the rebound and put it into the back of the net, leaving the thousands of fans silent and Duke still undefeated.

“Daniel knew exactly how to frame the goal so that when the ball came away from the keeper he was there to put it away,” Kerr said. “It’s so rewarding to see how we can benefit from the things we do and talk about in practice. That gives us a lot of confidence, that we can find the energy and discipline to make a difference.”

Share and discuss “Daniel Tweed-Kent’s first goal lifts Duke to ACC upset” on social media.