SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Blue Devil offense stutters against Tigers

Going into the Duke Nike Classic, with an ACC opener in Chapel Hill looming, a young Blue Devil team was looking to fine-tune an often dull attack.

While showing flashes of explosiveness on offense, Duke struggled to convert on its many chances, and walked away with a nervous win against Auburn Friday and a disappointing tie versus LSU (4-2-2) Sunday.

“We had quality shots today, we just couldn’t quite find the back of the net,” sophomore Chelsea Canepa said Sunday. “We’re going to work on these things, and we’re going to be better when it’s time to play ACC games.”

Duke (4-3-2) came into the game Friday against Auburn (3-2-3)having yet to concede a goal at home.

But the inexperience of the defense was finally exploited in the 26th minute as Auburn forward Caitlin King dribbled into space down the right side of the field and crossed to an open Becca Howell, who slotted the ball past Duke freshman Tara Campbell.

“We were caught off guard, but nobody stopped working. Nobody stopped believing that we could score,” senior captain Elisabeth Redmond said.

The Blue Devils kept the pressure up, and in the 36th minute, equalized. Junior Gretchen Miller crossed the ball into the Auburn penalty box, where it was deflected and settled by Carey Goodman, who coolly finished from 10 yards out.

The Blue Devils, who outshot the Tigers 7-5 in the second half, were unable to produce a go-ahead goal, forcing overtime.

Finally, in the 107th minute,  Canepa collected a cross from Maddy Haller and fired a winner from 15 yards toward the bottom-left corner. Canepa, Duke’s co-leading scorer this season, found the goal for the third straight game.

“It was a great cross, I was just lucky to get a touch on it and it found the corner,” Canepa said.

Duke looked to take momentum from its heart-stopping victory Friday into an afternoon clash with LSU, and looked dangerous offensively in the first half.

Duke’s first chance on goal came after just eight minutes. Senior captain Jane Alukonis blasted a free kick off the LSU wall, which Redmond collected. Redmond then fired a shot of her own that went slightly over the crossbar.

Duke’s constant pressure was finally rewarded in the 18th minute. Miller sent a long direct free kick into the penalty box and found an unmarked KayAnne Gummersall, who calmly headed the ball into the right side of the goal. The goal, her fifth of the season, ties Gummersall for fourth on Duke’s all time goal-scoring list with 28.

Duke doubled its lead in the 38th minute, when Haller found junior Marybeth Kreger deep inside the penalty area. Kreger, with a defender on her shoulder, dribbled right to draw LSU goalie Mo Isom, then fired a shot with her left foot past the goalkeeper.

LSU, coming off a tough loss to No. 1 North Carolina Friday, could have put up the white flag, but with Duke unable to capitalize on its many chances and score a third goal, the Tigers still harbored hope.

After forcing a save late in the first half, LSU clung to the quick change in momentum, and just two minutes into the second half, the Tigers capitalized on a Duke defensive lapse to make the score 2-1.

Rachel Yepez found Malorie Rutledge open on the left wing, and the senior was able to beat Campbell from 15 yards out.

Despite outshooting the Tigers 13-2 in the second half, Duke could not manage to find a third goal, and was punished for the lack of execution in the 85th minute, when Miller misjudged a cross and shanked the ball past Campbell to gift the Tigers the equalizer.

The Blue Devils, playing their second overtime game in as many days, could not beat an outstanding Isom. And with under five minutes remaining, Redmond, received a pass from Gummersall and fired at the goal, but the LSU goalkeeper came up big once again to seal the tie.

While Duke did not collect the two wins head coach Robbie Church wanted, he feels his Blue Devils are headed in the right direction.

“I think we played some of the best soccer of the year over this weekend,” Church said. “This tie is a difficult pill to swallow, but we know we have to move on, and we have to take advantage of opportunities in front of the goal.”

Share and discuss “Blue Devil offense stutters against Tigers” on social media.