SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Cecil leaves Duke to play pro

After winning an individual and team title in her one and only season at Duke, Mallory Cecil has decided to take the next step in her career and enter the professional ranks.

Cecil entertained the possibility of turning pro after winning the individual crown at the NCAA championships in May, but took the summer to think through the decision before ultimately choosing to forgo her final three years at Duke.

"It was definitely a tough decision, it did take a while for me to make," Cecil said. "I was just waiting for the right time. I didn't want to make a hasty decision by any means."

Cecil left high school early to enter Duke in the 2009 spring semester as the No. 1 recruit in the nation. She immediately assumed the top singles spot for the Blue Devils, and compiled a 32-4 record, placing her 32nd on Duke's all-time wins list after just one season.

The Blue Devils went 29-3 in 2009 and won the first national title in the program's history, defeating California in the championship match after losing to the Golden Bears in the Sweet 16 a year ago.

Cecil won the individual crown later that week, winning each of her matches in straight sets, to become the 14th player to capture both the team and individual titles in the same season.

She was the recipient of the Honda Award, honoring the nation's best female collegiate athlete in each sport, in addition to being named both the ACC and ITA Southeast Region Rookie of the Year.

"I feel like in January of last year, my heart was really telling me to go to college," Cecil said. "I thought at the time that was really a stepping stone I needed to take, one that would take me where I wanted to be.. After the success that we had as a team, and I had as an individual, those wins and those accomplishments have propelled me and given me confidence to take the next step to playing the pros."

Cecil will begin her professional career at no less than the U.S. Open in Flushing Meadows, N.Y. next week. She was given a wild card entry into the grand slam. Cecil played in the Family Circle Cup in April and lost in the first round of that event, but she is excited about her future.

"This is a great opportunity for me," she said. "I'm really excited. It's a great way to start out my career, but, again, it's just the beginning. I don't see this as my only showing at the U.S. Open. I've been privileged to have this opportunity, but this is just the beginning.

"Ultimately that's my dream to be a professional tennis player. Now is the time."

Share and discuss “Cecil leaves Duke to play pro” on social media.