Paulus Might See Opportunity With Syracuse Hoops

Greg Paulus will use a fifth year to play football at Syracuse, but once he's done with his intercollegiate career, he might have a chance to remain involved in Syracuse Athletics beyond the gridiron. He doesn't have any remaining basketball eligibility, but his hoops future with the Orange could be on the sideline.

Reports The Post-Standard:

Paulus, the Christian Brothers Academy graduate, will play quarterback for SU this fall. And when he's finished with football season, he has the option of joining the SU basketball staff as a student manager. In that capacity, Paulus could attend and absorb practices and interact with SU players.

"He asked me about it," Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said. "It's up to him. We'd love to have him. He'd be great. He could give some insight to players and stuff..."

Of course, it probably helps that Boeheim is one of Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski's best friends in the college coaching ranks and, indeed, an assistant on his Team USA staff. And if Paulus is serious about coaching, learning from Boeheim after spending four years with Krzyzewski is about as quality of an education he could hope for.

If he does transition back to the hardwood next season, though, Paulus will likely need a crash course in Boeheim's vaunted zone defense. After all, he didn't play much of it in Durham.

Share and discuss “Paulus Might See Opportunity With Syracuse Hoops” on social media.