DPAC sells out 20 shows in its first season

After a strong first season, the Durham Performing Arts Center looks as though it's on the path to success.

The theater opened in December 2008 and has been hosting and impressing thousands of visitors-many of whom are Duke students-ever since.

"It appears audiences really like the great sightlines and acoustics of DPAC along with the spacious and modern atmosphere and easy parking," said Bob Klaus, DPAC general manager. "Most of our research tells us guests are amazed by the friendly staff and warm welcome they receive when attending events at DPAC."

Klaus noted that even in a down economy, people are flocking to the shows-more than 20 performances sold out during the Center's first season.

DPAC, which cost $45.8 million to build, was partially funded by a $7.5-million investment from Duke. DPAC's audience includes Durham locals,as well as guests from as far away as Charlotte and Wilmington. But Duke students make up a good share of these new downtown Durham visitors as well.

Students have been venturing over to DPAC in large numbers, taking advantage of subsidized tickets and cheap bus rides that were offered by the Duke University Union last semester.

"Rent," which was advertised on Duke's campus, was an enormous success, with sales that well exceeded expectations, said DUU President Zachary Perret, a junior. The tickets allotted to Duke sold out in just a day.

"Legally Blonde," which made its debut at DPAC last Spring, was also popular among students, although not quite as much of a hit as the world-renowned musical, "Rent."

The influx of new visitors to Durham is giving a financial boost to more than just DPAC, which coupled with the City of Durham in spearheading the project, Downtown Durham, Inc. President Bill Kalkhof said.

Durham restaurants, especially those in the Brightleaf district, have seen a pick-up in sales as well. Some eateries have even tailored their schedules to show times, offering quick pre-show dinner seatings and later post-show cocktails and desserts.

Ever since DPAC opened last winter, Duke-along with the efforts from DUU-has been working with the Center to foster a collaborative relationship.

"We at DUU saw this as an unprecedented watershed opportunity to offer more off-campus programming options and get students acquainted with Durham," said Vincent Ling, Pratt '09 and former DUU Major Attractions director.

Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations, called the Center one of the most "significant additions to the city in recent memory," and considers Duke's relationship with the venue extremely important, as it encourages growth in the University's surroundings and adds to the quality of life of both inhabitants of Durham and of Duke students.

"Duke has been a strong supporter of the renaissance of downtown Durham, of which DPAC has been one of the anchors," Schoenfeld said. "Enhancing the quality of life for everyone who lives in Durham, and making Durham a destination for people who are interested in the arts and culture, is important for Duke's continuing success."

The DPAC-Duke relationship will not stop at subsidized tickets. The two institutions are currently collaborating on a new project, which may involve bringing Duke's own programming to the downtown Durham venue.

Perret said the 2,800-seat capacity at DPAC is the perfect offset to Duke's Reynolds Theater and Page Auditorium.

Next year, DUU will relax its involvement with DPAC, but a new OSAF-related group called "The Hub" will take its place. Perret said the group will offer reduced-price tickets for DPAC shows, as well as for other performances around the Triangle area.

The performing arts center's mission is to have "something for everyone," Klaus said. And with a combination of Broadway shows, superstar concerts and famous comedians on deck, DPAC seems to be accomplishing that goal. Among the most exciting shows for next year are "Spring Awakening," "The Phantom of The Opera" and a show by comedian Kathy Griffin.

"It's a unique privilege to have such a state-of-the-art venue bringing in world-class performances-including Broadways and high-profile musicians-just a few miles from a college campus," Ling said. "It's in everyone's interests to have people come together and enjoy the arts."

Share and discuss “DPAC sells out 20 shows in its first season” on social media.