Brickey To Join N.C. Central Staff

After a brief hiatus from men's basketball, Robert Brickey is returning to the sideline--and he's not going far to do so.

A former Duke star who served as assistant director of women's basketball operations last season, Brickey will join the N.C. Central men's staff as an assistant coach, the school announced this morning. Brickey was previously the head coach at Shaw and an assistant at James Madison, Southern Methodist and Army.

He left Shaw after a three-year stint and found refuge in Joanne P. McCallie's program, although his position restricted him from coaching from the bench. When I talked with Brickey last season, he discussed the differences between the men's and women's games, and although he said he could see himself staying on the women's side, it was clear he wasn't opposed to returning to a men's program.

What are the differences between the men’s and women’s game?

I think women pay attention to detail better than men do. Their listening skills are sharper than men’s. I think it’s a natural thing—sometimes men think they can compensate with athleticism, speed and quickness. But I’m learning the women’s side. It’s been fun, it’s been interesting and it’s been challenging, so it’s stretching me as a coach.

Could you see yourself staying in the women’s game?

You know, I could. I know about seven guys who made the jump from men to women and they all said they really liked it, and I asked why, and they all said the same exact thing: Because women listen. When you think about tie ballgames with 35 seconds to go on the last possession, execution is what’s going to win that game, unless you have a fabulous player that can go win the game.

Share and discuss “Brickey To Join N.C. Central Staff” on social media.