RECESS  |  CULTURE

Nasher hosts photos from Special Collections Library

The Nasher Museum is keeping its selection fresh throughout the summer. In addition to Christian Marclay's visually stimulating Video Quartet, the on-campus art space will also be host 80 original photographs from Duke's Special Collections Library. The showcase highlights the photographic process from the 19th century to the modern, and a large chunk of the visuals features the work of contemporary documentarians.

From the press release:

The exhibition, “Beyond Beauty: Photographs from the Duke University Special Collections Library,” traces the evolution of the photographic process from daguerreotypes, ambrotypes, tintypes, albumen prints and gelatin silver prints, to the most recent examples of digital printing. Historic photographs by Eugène Atget, Manuel Alvarez Bravo, Julia Margaret Cameron, Alfred Stieglitz and others will be on view. The exhibition also features works by 36 contemporary documentary photographers, many of whom have agreed to give their entire body of work to Duke’s Archive of Documentary Arts at the Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Library.

Beyond Beauty will be on display July 2 to October 18. For more information, visit here.

Share and discuss “Nasher hosts photos from Special Collections Library” on social media.