Freiman headlines Duke's MLB draft class

Despite missing out on an NCAA tournament bid in 2009, four Blue Devils were rewarded for stellar seasons by having their names called on Day 2 of the Major League Baseball Draft Wednesday afternoon.

Senior first baseman Nate Freiman-Duke's all-time home run leader and a second-team All-ACC pick last season-was the first Blue Devil chosen, drafted in the eighth round (No. 234 overall) to the San Diego Padres.

Freiman was selected in the 28th round of the 2008 draft by the Texas Rangers, but elected to stay in school for his senior season, making him eligible for the draft once again. In his senior season, he led Duke with a .356 batting average and topped the ACC-which sent two teams, North Carolina and Virginia, to the College World Series-with 20 home runs.

"I really haven't ever regretted that decision-coming back to school was one of the easiest decisions I've ever made," Freiman said about returning to school. "I had another year of college baseball, wanted to get my degree, really liked Duke, and the extra year of baseball was a blast.. It was totally worth it."

Head coach Sean McNally said Freiman's influence was felt by the Blue Devils on the field and in the clubhouse this year. Duke finished 35-24 this season, its best record in McNally's four years at the helm.

"It was really important for us [to have Freiman return]-he's such a big bat in the middle of the lineup," McNally said. "But more than that, his leadership, his presence, he was a great example for the rest of our players."

Freiman is set to report to minicamp in Arizona in the coming weeks, but said he isn't sure what level of minor league baseball he will be assigned to.

Senior pitcher Andrew Wolcott was the second Duke player selected, plucked by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 17th round.

Wolcott said he might have considered going pro after his junior season if there had been some interest from major league clubs, but he was not drafted in 2008. In response, Wolcott had by far his best collegiate season as a senior, leading Duke with an 8-3 record and a 2.66 ERA.

Duke outfielder Tim Sherlock's father, Glenn Sherlock, is a bullpen coach for the Diamondbacks, and the elder Sherlock sent his congratulations to Wolcott Wednesday.

"I got a message from [Glenn Sherlock]saying, 'See you in the bullpen,' Wolcott said. "I just answered, 'I hope so."

A third senior, catcher Matt Williams, was also taken Wednesday. Williams started nearly every game behind the plate for Duke in his four seasons, and he was drafted with the 560th overall pick by the Chicago Cubs in the 18th round.

"I've talked to the guys and I'm just really excited for them. It's an exciting day for us and for our program," McNally said. "The three seniors [Freiman, Wolcott and Williams], not drafted out of high school, have really maximized their time as students and as players and its great for them to be recognized and rewarded. They certainly earned it and deserved it."

The fourth and final Blue Devil selected on Day 2 was outfielder/pitcher Alex Hassan, a Boston native, who was taken by his hometown Boston Red Sox in the 20th round. Hassan is a junior and could return to school next year, as Freiman did this season. He has not yet made a decision on his future.

Current Blue Devils weren't the only players with Duke ties attracting major league attention. Three incoming recruits-catcher Steven Baron, shortstop Marcus Stroman and pitcher Cameron Coffey-were also selected Wednesday. Baron was the highest-rated player of any Blue Devil taken in the draft, as the Seattle Mariners chose him early with the 33rd overall pick. Like Hasson, Baron, Stroman and Coffey will decide whether to pursue a major league career or enroll at Duke in the next month or so.

"We had a sense that [our recruits] definitely would be drafted," McNally said. "I expect them to come to school and I'm really excited about the opportunity to coach them, and we'll see how the summer plays out.

"To have four of our guys drafted and three of our incoming guys as well, it speaks to what we've done and what our future is here."

Share and discuss “Freiman headlines Duke's MLB draft class” on social media.