Oprah urges grads to find inspiration in hardships

The radiant faces of fresh graduates, their families, friends, faculty mentors--and of course, Oprah---illuminated overcast skies to graduate the Class of 2009 Sunday.

The rain ultimately stayed away from the festivities as President Richard Brodhead conferred degrees upon the graduates of nine schools during the 157th annual commencement exercises, held at Wallace Wade Stadium.

Commencement speaker Oprah Winfrey, a world-renowned media mogul and television icon, used a diverse array of people, from Monica George-a woman who became infected with a flesh-eating bacteria after giving birth-to former South African President Nelson Mandela, as examples of how to overcome obstacles to achieve success.

She explained that at different moments in every individual's life something would eat away at them-such as anger, guilt or painful past experiences-and they cannot let it get the best of them.

"But graduates, I want you to know that if you can summon the courage of Monica George in the face of your own life's hardships-and you will have them-and if you can remember what good are you to anyone if you're miserable, I know for sure you'll be a huge success, because you are responsible for your happiness and you are responsible for the energy you bring to everything," she said.

Winfrey also told the story of a woman who purchased a pair of shoes from her at a charity sale, despite the fact that they were too large. The woman would stand in the shoes whenever she got depressed.

"And she said she wanted to stand in the shoes until she'd be able to stand on her own, and she used the shoes as a sense of inspiration to herself," Winfrey said, adding that the woman decided to go back to school at the age of 50 to earn a degree. "You really haven't completed the circle of success unless you can help somebody else move forward. That's the truth.... How do you get someone else to move to higher ground?"

Winfrey noted that she decided to speak at Duke's commencement this year because her godson, Will Bumpus, is a graduating senior and the son of her close friend Gayle King, who is editor-at-large of O, The Oprah Magazine. Winfrey added that Bumpus often does not like disclosing his relationship with her, but he did want her to speak at his graduation.

"I'm like the crazy aunt they keep in the attic and they only let me out for commencements," Winfrey said.

Winfrey was among eight men and women to receive an honorary degree from the University at commencement.

While the presentation of degrees and speakers went smoothly, graduation was not entirely without complaint. There were not enough chairs on the field and several students were left standing.

"Usually there are probably 300 to 400 chairs left over on the floor and we even added additional seats to be safe, but unfortunately there weren't enough," said Terry Chambliss, director of special events and University ceremonies. "There's no one more sorry for that than our office right here."

Chambliss said her office uses the number of orders for graduation attire placed online by students to determine the number of seats. But because students are allowed to use attire from hooding or hippocratic oath ceremonies, the method is not perfect.

Typically, only 74 percent of graduating seniors participate in commencement exercises, Chambliss said. She said she attributed the larger crowd this year to Winfrey's popularity.

"I think she is very popular and you can see it in the stands and in the greater student participation and greater faculty involvement and family attendance," she said, adding that the standing graduates were offered seating to the left of the stage in the stands.

Preceding Winfrey on stage was Robert Jones, Trinity '02, a graduating medical student who was selected to give the student address.

During his remarks, Jones spoke about his life as a "loser" and how essential his experience with failure was to the success he enjoys today.

Instead of being afraid to face personal struggles and shortcomings, Jones asked the graduates to take on the challenges they encounter and to be honest about their strengths and weaknesses.

"I think there is empowerment in acknowledging one's imperfection," he said, adding that Duke was a place where students were allowed to fail at times despite the pressure to achieve perfection.

Students said Winfrey's and Jones' speeches were a fitting end to their college careers, challenging them to leave their own unique marks on the world.

"It was awesome and so heart-moving," said graduate Hee Jeong Lee. "She mentioned failure and how to overcome it and how to inspire people."

Share and discuss “Oprah urges grads to find inspiration in hardships” on social media.