Turri emerges as Duke begins to click

The usual suspects showed up against then-No. 1 Virginia in Duke's 15-10 victory April 11, as Ned Crotty tallied six assists and Max Quinzani scored four goals.

But Duke (10-3, 2-1 in the ACC) likely would not be where it is today without a player who did not even see the field last year because of injury-attackman Justin Turri, who scored three goals and dished out two assists against the Cavaliers.

So when Duke faces off against Virginia (13-1, 2-1) Friday in the ACC tournament semifinals in Chapel Hill, the sophomore that head coach John Danowski called the "X-factor" going into this season could provide a huge boost by living up to the standards he has set for himself in ACC play.

"We knew he had... a lot of favorable qualities, but until you step onto the field in game situations, you're not quite sure what he can do," Danowski said. "We've been really delighted in his progress so far."

The progress has resulted in 15 goals and 24 points, second and fourth on the team, respectively. In ACC play-just three contests-he's recorded seven of those goals and 10 of those assists.

For the sophomore, though, those are the first goals and points he's tallied since he starred at West Islip High School. It wasn't because he could not crack the starting lineup last year. In fact, in a lineup featuring All-Americans and Tewaaraton Trophy finalists Matt Danowski and Zack Greer, Turri cracked the first line in fall practice.

"We didn't set anything in stone, but I would've definitely gotten into one of the top two lines and at least contributed a bit," Turri said.

That contribution never came, though. Shortly before winter break, Turri broke the navicular bone in his left foot at practice. The injury required season-ending surgery.

"Originally, I definitely wanted to play," Turri said. "Once we got the CT scan back and it was completely broken, I knew it was too painful and I had to get the surgery so I'd be ready and able to play for this year."

The surgery, which required Turri to have screws inserted in his foot, could have left him less explosive and athletic than his high school days, where his former lacrosse coach Scott Craig called him one of the purest athletes he's ever seen.

But the former all-county quarterback, basketball star and member of the US Lacrosse All-American team came back to full strength in time for fall practice, which hardly surprised Danowski.

"I have no reservations anytime anyone gets surgery here," Danowski said. "We've had so many surgeries here over the last few years and the doctors have been phenomenal at Duke Hospital."

Like the rest of his teammates, Turri started the season slowly. He didn't even start until the third game against Harvard, and when the squad started 2-2-which represented as many losses in four games as the previous year's squad had all year-Turri only had two goals and three points.

But against North Carolina March 14, the sophomore wasted no time in exploding onto the scene. He rang up a hat trick to go with one assist, earning ACC Player of the Week honors in leading the Blue Devils to 12-8 victory.

Then came Virginia, which affirmed Turri's status as a solid second scorer behind Quinzani on this current squad. On Friday, Turri and the rest of the Blue Devils will go for round two against the Cavaliers.

Unlike the last matchup, Duke will not be coming off two weeks rest and will probably not have as much of an emotional edge as it did last time, when the two teams met at a packed Koskinen Stadium.

That's not to say, though, that the Blue Devils won't try to match their energy from the previous game, Turri said.

"We're definitely going to come out with the same intensity and the same emotion," he said. "Every little play gets everyone going nuts."

And it may be No. 12 out there igniting that intensity Friday. Because after waiting a year to get his shot, there's no reason he'll wait to take a few to get his team a win and a celebration.

Share and discuss “Turri emerges as Duke begins to click” on social media.