LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION

Ask seniors Lawrence Chen and Shang Gao what they are studying in college and their answers will be nothing out of the ordinary for a Duke student-they are both economics majors and will graduate in May with certificates in markets and management and film/video/digital studies.

But whereas other economics majors may be taking their degrees with them to Wall Street, Chen and Gao have a different agenda, and even bolder ambitions: They want to be film-makers. The aspiring directors both made short films as a passing hobby in high school, but the fancy soon turned into a passion after they arrived at Duke and became more involved in the medium.

"It's the creative freedom," Chen says. "You get to tell your story in one of the most popular mediums out there, and that's film."

Although Chen and Gao didn't know each other before coming to Duke, the two have worked together on numerous projects since meeting their freshmen year. Chen also works as Director of Photography for Sweet and Sour Productions, a video-production company founded and run by Gao that makes anything from short films to advertisements.

"The fact that I could make money doing something I like really made me consider it," Gao says of pursuing film.

Gao and Chen's works have become pervasive on campus, from the advertisements on Cable 13 to the videos they designed for Duke admissions. "My Only One," a video directed by Gao, won the 2006 Froshlife video contest and has been shown during every Orientation Week since. And while students will probably be more likely to know Chen for his role in the Duke University Improv-produced video "My New Haircut: Asian Edition," the senior has also won many student film festival awards for an independent short film he produced last semester titled "The Good Side." The video was featured on MTVu's Web site as one of the best films on a college campus.

In a clear case of passion over pragmatism, Chen and Gao have accepted the possibility that they may be "living in a box" next year, but both note that their love of creativity and desire to inspire keep them motivated.

"Oh and I also want to be famous," Chen says matter-of-factly. "Fame over fortune actually."

Share and discuss “LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION” on social media.