Intro chem classes to be revamped

Beginning in Fall 2009, the chemistry department will implement a revamped introductory curriculum.

The department will be eliminating Chemistry 21L and 22L, the two introductory general chemistry courses, and replacing them with Chemistry 31L, "Core Concepts in Chemistry," and Chemistry 32L, "Modern Applications of Chemical Principles." The department will also remove Chemistry 23L, "Advanced General Chemistry," and create Chemistry 43L, "Honors Chemistry: Core Concepts in Context."

Chemistry 31L will be offered for the first time in Fall 2009, and Chemistry 32L in Spring 2010, Richard MacPhail, co-director of undergraduate studies of chemistry and associate chair and associate professor of chemistry, wrote in an e-mail. Chemistry 21L and 22L will be offered this summer, and a final course of Chemistry 22L will be offered in Fall 2009 as the department transitions to the new system.

MacPhail said the change is meant to address several concerns about the way in which organic chemistry is currently taught.

"Students often see the material in general chemistry as a series of disconnected topics, and do not see the connection between these topics and those in organic chemistry," he said.

The current plan was approved by the chemistry faculty in December and by the University Course Committee in early Spring, MacPhail noted.

The first course in the new introductory sequence, Chemistry 31L, will prepare students for organic chemistry by emphasizing the relevant concepts in general chemistry and connecting these concepts by placing them in the context of a general theme such as biology, materials science or environmental chemistry, MacPhail said.

"What we've done is we've taken the material from [Chemistry 21L and 22L] that you need in order to prepare for [organic chemistry]-so anything you don't need in [organic chemistry] we did not put into [Chemistry 31L]," said James Bonk, director of undergraduate studies and professor of chemistry.

Before or after taking organic chemistry, students may take Chemistry 32L-a second semester of general chemistry-if their major or desired profession requires that they do so, MacPhail said. Chemistry 32L will cover topics typically found in general chemistry that were not addressed in Chemistry 31L, and, like its prerequisite, approach these concepts through modern applications in the context of an overall scientific theme.

Because Chemistry 32L is not required for organic chemistry, students have flexibility in deciding whether or when they take the course, MacPhail said. The department, however, recommends that students who need both general and organic chemistry take organic chemistry immediately after Chemistry 31L to highlight the similarities between the fundamental concepts in the two subjects.

MacPhail said many schools-such as Wake Forest University and The University of Maryland-are restructuring their introductory chemistry sequences to the "1-2-1" model Duke is adopting. This is the path the American Chemical Society is recommending for universities, Bonk added.

Sophomore Eunji Yim agreed that the new sequence is a better transition from general to organic chemistry than the current system, seeing no continuity between Chemistry 21L and 22L and organic chemistry.

Other students, however, said they questioned the switch because taking Chemistry 32L after organic chemistry might be a step backward for those who are required to take two semesters of general chemistry.

"I think having that [Chemistry 31] course might give people an intro to [organic chemistry] and soothe their fears a little bit," freshman Monica Bhutiani said. "[But] I think it's kind of weird that they are putting the rest of general chemistry after organic chemistry."

Bhutiani added that she thought it would be more logical for students who need Chemistry 32L to take the course prior to taking Chemistry 31L and organic chemistry.

In addition to Chemistry 31L and 32L, the department is creating Chemistry 43L, an honors version of Chemistry 31L that requires a score of four on the Advanced Placement chemistry examination.

Chemistry 43L will be almost identical to Chemistry 23L, covering core concepts at an accelerated pace and advanced level, relating the topics to a larger scientific theme. Right now, the course is taught in the context of cancer, but the application may change depending on the instructor, Bonk said.

Professor of Chemistry Eric Toone, who currently teaches Chemistry 23L and will be teaching Chemistry 43L in the Fall, said this is the first year he had taught the course material at his preferred level and pace and has received positive feedback. Prior to this year, people had a misconception of what Chemistry 23L entailed, he added.

"In previous years a lot of people were looking for a speeded up high school course... a speeded up [Chemistry 21L and 22L]," Toone said. "And that's not what this course was.... In the past there were some people who were sort of troubled by the level that the course was taught at and others weren't looking for chemistry in context."

Share and discuss “Intro chem classes to be revamped” on social media.