Group elects new exec, Ford as prez

The Graduate and Professional Student Council elected a new executive board for the upcoming academic year at the group's general body meeting Tuesday night. Yvonne Ford, a third-year Ph. D. candidate in nursing, won the uncontested presidency.

"The president's role is to ultimately provide direction to accomplish goals in the strategic plan of the organization," Ford said. "I hope to communicate with other entities about GPSC and to enable the executive board and general assembly to carry out the work of the organization."

She said her priorities as president will be transparency, inclusiveness, advocacy and fiscal responsibility. Ford added that she will seek feedback from graduate and professional students and the general assembly to accomplish these goals.

Ford said her presidential committee will focus on continuing the environmental greening initiatives championed by current GPSC President Alethea Duncan, a fourth-year Ph. D. candidate in chemistry.

"Any of you that have known me in this organization will know that reducing the carbon footprint we have on this campus and the greening initiative are very near and dear to my heart," Ford said. "I think that we can continue that work and do even better to reduce that carbon footprint."

Ford added that she recognized the time commitment that the position requires and she used an allusion to the poet Robert Frost to illustrate her point.

"'The world is filled with willing people; some willing to work, the rest willing to let them,'" Ford said. "I'm ready and willing to work."

Jessi Bardill, a third-year Ph. D. candidate in English, was elected vice president. Although Bardill had originally declined the nomination, she said Tuesday that she was now willing to take up the position.

"I have very strong inclinations toward GPSC and seeing GPSC do well," Bardill said. "I think the general assembly is the place in which it can do the most good."

Emily Aviki, a third-year student seeking a joint degree from the School of Medicine and the Fuqua School of Business, ran unopposed for the position of treasurer.

Aviki said she wanted to be fair, efficient and transparent in the role.

Daniel Griffin, a second-year Ph. D. candidate in classical studies, was picked as executive secretary. In addition, first-year Law student Rob Tiefenbrun will serve as attorney general.

"Being in the judicial committee I have seen there is an opportunity for the attorney general to make the whole general assembly process more efficient and well informed," Tiefenbrun said.

Share and discuss “Group elects new exec, Ford as prez” on social media.