Duke sweeps twinbill against N.C. Central

For parts of each game in Tuesday's doubleheader at Jack Coombs Field, N.C. Central found itself leading Duke. The Eagles should have taken some pictures for the occasion.

The Blue Devils easily responded from early deficits in two wins to cap a season sweep of the Eagles. The Blue Devils (22-11) outscored the Eagles (4-17) 39-7 in the three games this season, including 14-1 and 9-3 wins Tuesday.

In the first game, N.C. Central led in the top of the first inning before Duke quickly answered with a run of its own in its half of the inning to tie the game. Highlighted by a seven-run fourth inning and a five-run sixth inning, Duke would eventually cruise. Pitchers Kyle Butler and Tim Sherlock combined to hold the Eagles to one run, and catcher Matt Williams and Nate Freiman contributed four RBIs apiece. Freiman also added his team-leading 10th home run of the year.

The nightcap provided to be more of a challenge for the Blue Devils.

The Eagles led 3-2 as late as the fourth inning before Duke's bats finally reemerged. Senior Marcus Jones walked following singles by designated hitter Will Currier and fellow outfielder Brian Litwin to load up the bases with one out. Junior infielder Ryan McCurdy singled to drive in Currier, and outfielder Will Piwnica-Worms doubled to clear the bases.

The Blue Devils return to the field Wednesday at UNC-Greensboro before hosting N.C. State over the weekend.

"Midweek games are really important," head coach Sean McNally said. "Guys can get at bats. Guys who play everyday can stay sharp. The [young players] get an opportunity to build some confidence, have some success, and just get some experience. There's no substitute for playing."

Share and discuss “Duke sweeps twinbill against N.C. Central” on social media.