Body reviews RoomPix, '08-'09 successes

Campus Council members celebrated the end of the year by studying Room Pix results and reviewing accomplishments at their last general body meeting of the semester Thursday night.

The expansion of the "East Meets West" block-free zone and the creation of substance-free housing are specific examples of improvements Campus Council made for the Duke residential experience this year, Campus Council President Stephen Temple, a sophomore, said in an interview after the meeting.

Other members mentioned the Old Duke concert and quadrangle barbecues as successful events.

"This year's executive board did a really superb job not only benefitting the student body and the residential community, but in increasing the transparency of the organization and making policy matter and making events people weren't wondering about but were looking forward to and [which have become] traditions," Temple said.

During the meeting, Jen Frank, assistant director of accommodations at Residence Life and Housing Services, presented a series of pie graphs that displayed a rough estimate of the demographics of all three campuses, which resulted from the Room Pix process this year.

A breakdown of West Campus indicated that 6 percent of the approximately 2,600 students living there will be unaffiliated students in the "East Meets West" section, and 4 percent of the students on West will live in the new substance-free section. Sixty percent of the campus will be occupied by unaffiliated individuals, and 30 percent has been delegated to Selective Living Groups.

Another graph displayed a breakdown of applicants for the "East Meets West" option. Out of about 400 students, one-third of the applicants were able to pick rooms in the area. The demand for singles was high, so all singles went to seniors, Frank said. The "East Meets West" section will be composed of 25 percent seniors, 19 percent juniors and 56 percent sophomores.

The graph displayed that about 160 students applied for substance-free housing, and also revealed that 70 percent of those who did not get in or did not opt to live in the section were juniors. About half of those juniors wanted singles, which further indicated the popularity of singles.

Furthermore, Frank analyzed the demographics of Central Campus.

"The interesting thing about this is that about 75 percent of people who ended up on Central Campus want to be there," Frank said.

The statistics displayed that, out of about 850 students, only 29 percent of future Central Campus residents had requested to live on West prior to Room Pix.

"The presentation was a good way of bringing together what we had worked to accomplish in the past year," said outgoing Campus Council president Molly Bierman, a senior.

In other business:

Campus Council unanimously moved to adopt a new mission statement, which will appear on the organization's Web site. The statement will read, "Campus Council, Duke University's residential governing body, serves to foster community and to improve the residential experience across East, West and Central Campuses."

Share and discuss “Body reviews RoomPix, '08-'09 successes” on social media.