Group OKs nonprofit funding

Duke Student Government representatives approved funding for two nonprofit student organizations and four upcoming events at the group's weekly meeting Wednesday night.

One of the approved organizations, VoraciTee, will sell T-shirts to students advertising important social justice issues. The second, Crayons2Calculators, plans to donate school supplies to Durham Public Schools teachers. In addition to providing donations, the group will hold several annual events, such as fundraisers, supply giveaways and supply drives.

Among the events approved Wednesday night were Israel Day, a Duke Powwow, a Duke Chinese Dance Troupe showcase and a lecture from Harvard University Professor Michael Sandel.

Israel Day, which will be held March 27, will be an event open to the entire University community and will celebrate Israeli culture, while engaging students with Israeli-inspired music, food and hookah. The Powwow, hosted by the Native American Student Alliance, will be a day in the spring devoted to honoring Native American culture. The Chinese Dance Troupe will perform April 11 in a two-hour show highlighting Chinese dance styles. Michael Sandel, professor of government at Harvard, will come to campus April 2 for an interactive lecture on current political and moral issues.

In other business:

Senators from the student affairs committee proposed the idea to expand Marketplace lunch hours. Sophomore Bryan Krichilsky, a student affairs senator, noted that Marketplace lunch hours currently span only from noon to 2:30 p.m., making it harder for students with afternoon classes to fit lunch in.

"We thought of moving the lunch hours from 12:00 p.m. to 11:30 a.m. so people can start eating lunch a little earlier," he said.

Sophomore Will Olcott, an athletics and campus services senator, discussed the obstacles handicapped students face in Krzyzewskiville. He said some of these students cannot participate in the walk-up line and are therefore prevented from attending games.

"We want to hold some tickets aside for disabled students," he said. "This would provide an alternative to the walk-up line."

In addition, DSG President Jordan Giordano and Vice President of Student Affairs Lauren Maisel, both seniors, held an open discussion concerning organizational structure issues within DSG.

Share and discuss “Group OKs nonprofit funding” on social media.