Valentine's Day Dining

Watt's Grocery

Boasting an eco-chic take on sophisticated dining, Watts Grocery on Broad Street offers quality food served in a casual setting, the perfect mix for a Valentine's date. A prime example is the fried green tomato appetizer with red shrimp creole remoulade. The tomatoes are firm and crisp, the breading is savory and the cool, spicy shrimp creole remoulade perfectly complements this modern take on a classic offering. Among the entrees, the pecan-crusted catfish is unassumingly impressive. The crunchy, nutty coating mixed with the tender filet delivers both in texture and taste. The seared duck, with a slightly sweet hot pepper glaze, is another winner. To cap off the meal, go for the pink-peppermint ice cream sundae, a fun dessert enough for two, or the more sophisticated vanilla bean custard with poached winter fruits.

Nancy Wang

Mt. Fuji

Although not the most original choice, Mt. Fuji is the place to go if you wish to ply your valentine with inexpensive drinks while partaking in a solidly mediocre dining experience. At Fuji, it's best to stick to the menu's mainstays, such as the mouth-wateringly tender teriyaki steak or the crunchy and spicy, if vaguely bland, Spicy Ocean Roll. Less commonly ordered dishes such as the gooey Mt. Fuji noodles-overcooked ramen-style noodles served in a sauce-drenched heap-serve to remind that certain plates are popular for a reason. The steamed fish, a mahi-mahi filet in a flavorful broth finished with the delightful tang of ginger and lemon, is a standout surprise that is a healthier and lighter option, allowing you to be active later. However, an unromantic food coma proves inevitable after sampling the delectable flash-fried and chocolate-drizzled cheesecake.

Claire Finch

George's Garage

Ninth Street mainstay George's Garage is offering a $40 four-course prix fixe menu this Valentine's Day. For salads, diners have the option between a solid but unspectacular caesar or mixed organic greens in a tangy balsamic vinaigrette. As far as entrees go, the vegetable lasagna was mediocre; the clear favorite was the flat-grilled salmon served with new potatoes and sauteed spinach. The fish was a nice texture, meaning that the only time you'll need a knife is to cut the sexual tension. The staff at George's definitely saves the best for last with their bread pudding dessert. Creamy vanilla ice cream complements the sweet, warm bread. While the dish is great, let's just hope this fantastic dessert is not the hottest part of your Valentine's Day.

Jordan Axt

Share and discuss “Valentine's Day Dining” on social media.