Oscar predictions, GChat style

No one likes the Oscars or any awards show really-but people hate the Oscars especially. Film Editor Andrew Hibbard and critic Charlie McSpadden tackle their disdain via GChat.

Charlie: It gets more and more depressing each year. Let's be honest. The whole "Oscar movie" vs. "actually-good-movie" battle becomes more and more true every year.

Andrew: And the Oscars have this phenomenal ability to turn a movie that is pretty good into something that's totally insufferable. Juno. Slumdog Millionaire.

Charlie: I know. I really am a firm believer that Slumdog is exploiting the economic crisis; it's such a feel good film that clearly is profiting off how pissed-off and poor everyone is getting.

Andrew: It's exploiting poverty. Turning it into not-that-high art.

Charlie: Let's talk about the absurd choice of The Reader in Best Picture. Who saw The Reader? I don't think people in England even saw The Reader. What a crap title too. "Nazi Woman has affair with young boy" is much more exciting, no?

Andrew: Underage Nazi sex though. It's brilliant! Why not WALL-E?

Charlie: They didn't do it for the gays with Brokeback, do it for the kids with WALL-E?

Andrew: For the kids. For the environmentalists. Heck, even the gays get it a little bit with WALL-E. After all, Hello, Dolly! played a pretty prominent role in that movie. Just do it for all of us, Academy.

Charlie: Seriously. They did do a few things right though with this year's nominations. Take Best Supporting Actress. Some of the great performances are in that category.

Andrew: Right. And it's probably the only category that has any diversity. The best part being-and no offense meant to the always incredible Amy Adams and Marisa Tomei-that none of the front runners in the category are white.

Charlie: I'm so glad Taraji P. Henson got some love for her performance in Benjamin Button. She went from heartwarming hooker in Hustle and Flow to actually heartwarming old person in a nursing home in Ben Button.

Andrew: But a question: Slumdog is obviously going to take Best Picture. Who should take it, though?

Charlie: I mean, if the Oscar goes to the film that is cinema for cinema's sake, I think Benjamin Button should get it. Milk's got some solid support behind it (talk about great timing... cough Prop 8... cough). Frost/Nixon is your "respected" and "mature" film of the bunch.

Andrew: The thing is though, Frost/Nixon is a Ron Howard movie. As much as I loved Happy Days, I just don't want him to win. It was certainly respectable, but it's something my mom would like-kind of blase.

Charlie: If The Dark Knight and WALL-E were in here, it would be so much more exciting. And people might actually watch the Oscars.

Andrew: But hey. Hugh Jackman is hosting. Even if Milk loses, there's still something for the Broadway crowd.

Charlie: Alright, your three biggest snubs-quick.

Andrew: Syndecdoche, NY for Best Original Screenplay. WALL-E for Best Picture. And it's a little off and maybe didn't even qualify for the category (or the Oscars, because who knows how those rules work) but My Winnipeg for Best Documentary.

Charlie: I'd say. Kristin Scott Thomas for I've Loved You So Long (and for Best Foreign Film-a category that, understandably, is teeming with possible contenders). No Darron Aronofsky. Best Director for the The Wrestler (Stephen Daldry? Really?) 3. The Dark Knight and Chris Nolan for Picture and Director.

Andrew: Well, I think we can sum this up pretty easily. The Oscars suck.

Share and discuss “Oscar predictions, GChat style” on social media.