RECESS  |  CULTURE

Oscar Predictions: Best Directing

David Fincher on the Ben Button set. Courtesy Time Out NY.

The Award

There is virtually no question that Danny Boyle is going to win this award. But it is still fun to speculate, right?

Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire

1996's Trainspotting marked Danny Boyle's foray into the hearts of critics. In 2002, he did 28 Days Later, marking the release of perhaps the most mature zombie movie ever made. And now, after winning every award this season, he is a lock for the Oscar. And my heart breaks a little, if only because Loveleen Kandan seems just as deserving, but is getting no credit.

Stephen Daldry, The Reader

His third nomination. His third loss. Andrew Stanton? Christopher Nolan? Could've done better, Academy.

David Fincher, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The badboy of the group, Fincher has the coolest resume of these nominees. Benjamin Button is also the most cinematically pure picture up for this many awards years. It is rooted in such a deep cinematic ethic that it really speaks to Fincher's ability as a director. Don't expect Fincher to win, but this nomination is at least justice for the great work he's done in the past, especially Se7en and Zodiac.

Ron Howard, Frost/Nixon

Richie Cunningham has two Oscars under his belt. He is a safe choice here, but Frost/Nixon, in all its glory, was just too underwhelming to merit any major wins--Best Picture or Directing. Good effort, Ron. See you in a few years.

Gus Van Sant, Milk

Milk is a biopic and a straightforward one at that. It is certainly good and the actors shine, but there is no reason that this second-place finisher will win. However, I would love to see Gus Van Sant win. A win for Milk would be disappointing because he has so many other films that showcase his RISD education in the mainstream, but having an east coast-educated director win? That would be awesome.

The Winner: Danny Boyle

Really? There's no point in even speculating otherwise. Maybe Gus Van Sant or David Fincher could get a good share of the votes, but not really.

Share and discuss “Oscar Predictions: Best Directing” on social media.