Grad policy gives parents more class flexibility

Doctoral degree candidates have begun applying to take advantage of a new policy affording them time off to devote toward the newest members of their family.

The Graduate School passed a new policy earlier this Fall that will allow students who are the primary caregivers up to seven weeks off of their studies to care for their newly born or adopted child. Additionally, students who are non-primary caregivers may take up to a week off. The Graduate Schools will continue to offered stipends to students during this time.

"It was something that we have wanted to do for many years," said Jacqueline Looney, senior associate dean for graduate programs and associate vice provost for academic diversity. "The timing was just right in terms of what we were learning about what other graduate programs were doing and how they were supporting their students. It's something we've always wanted to do and things just fell in place nicely for us."

The new policy is a way of staying competitive with Duke's peer institutions, as well as offering a network of support to graduate student parents, Looney said. She added that she and other Graduate School officials recognize that the length of time it takes for students to obtain a degree often conflicts with students' plans for starting a family.

Jo Rae Wright, vice provost and dean of the Graduate School, agreed with Looney on the dual reasons for the policy.

"This policy was adopted out of a growing understanding of the need for students to be able to balance work-life issues and complete degrees in a timely manner," she said.

Looney added that even prior to this policy the Graduate School has been committed to listening to the needs of its students.

"Before this new program, we had already started a support network for our grad parents and established a subsidy program in which we offset some of the costs of childcare expenses," she said.

Alethea Duncan, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Council and a fourth-year Ph. D. candidate in chemistry, said she was happy to hear of the new policy and is aware of students who are already taking advantage of it.

"The best time to have a baby often coincides with when you are in Graduate School," she said. "Those are the facts of it. Most students are here for an average of four to six years, and then pursue their post-doc and a life in academia. There previously was no break built into the system. Now, that has changed."

Share and discuss “Grad policy gives parents more class flexibility” on social media.