Back for 2-night stand, troupe is second to none

They're back.

The Second City, the comedy troupe that boasts such alumni as Steve Carell, Mike Myers, Tina Fey and Stephen Colbert, is returning to Duke Thursday and Friday.

Senior Amelia Fernandez, program director of Duke University Union's Live Entertainment Committee, said the troupe performed last year to a sold-out crowd at Duke.

"We had an amazing response, so we decided to bring them back for two nights," she said. "We can ensure good quality at a good price since it's always a great show."

The show will feature two sketch comedy acts followed by a brief improvised third act. The six comedians will incorporate social and political satire while focusing on the overall theme of dreams. Although the basic setup of the shows remains constant, every performance is new and fresh since the troupe adjusts their material to current affairs, said Second City comedian Seth Weitberg, Trinity '03.

"Second City has a really unique ability to respond to what's going on in our world at any given moment," he said.

The two main stages and three touring companies are a breeding ground for new comedians, and the fresh faces and constant turnover help keep Second City fun and contemporary, Fernandez said.

As a Duke University Improv alum, Weitberg was naturally drawn to the Chicago-based troupe. Both groups, he noted, focuses on cultivating humor out of everyday life.

"Our scenes center on humanistic moments, and we really strive to say something," he said. "We don't rely on cheap laughs."

Fernandez added that Second City pushes the limit. People may be a little shocked at some of the things said or done, she said, but most will find something to laugh about.

"They combine all different layers-music, comedy, sketch and improv," DUI member Scott Peppel, a junior, said. "They're the greatest to go see since they're so fresh and original."

"Second City is a great fit for this school because Duke is a community of individuals who are willing to be challenged by ideals and raise questions about every day life," Weitberg said. "Second City is pretty intelligent comedy, and even when it's dumb and silly, it still comes from a place of opinion. After all, that's what comedy is all about."

The Second City Comedy Troupe performs Feb. 5 and 6 at 8 p.m. in Reynolds Theater. Tickets are $5 for Duke students, $10 for non-Duke students and Duke employees and $15 for adults.

Share and discuss “Back for 2-night stand, troupe is second to none” on social media.