Some turn to ADHD meds for academics

Distracted? According to a recent study, many of the students who self-medicate do so without prescriptions to put them back on track in their courses.

Most college students who use Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder medications that are not prescribed to them do so primarily for academic reasons, according to a Duke study. The results come from a Spring 2007 Web-based survey of 3,407 students at Duke and the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

Five percent of the students surveyed said they had used ADHD drugs without a prescription in the past six months, and 9 percent reported that they have done this at least once since they began college.

The vast majority, 90 percent, of those who had used medications-such as Ritalin, Adderall or Concerta-in the last six months said their motive was to improve their studying capability. Ninety percent of those students also said the drugs did have the desired effect.

Reported benefits of improved concentration, however, might come with unwanted consequences, said David Rabiner, the lead researcher of the study and director of undergraduate studies in the department of psychology and neuroscience.

"Of the students in our study who reported using ADHD medications that weren't prescribed to them, most reported side effects, including sleeping problems, irritability, head aches and stomach aches," he said.

But these negative side effects are similar to the ones usually reported by students who take medication for diagnosed ADHD, said Rabiner and co-researcher Rick Hoyle. Other reported side effects may include "debilitating focus"-decreasing ability to move from one task to the next-and repressed appetite, said Hoyle, who is also a Duke professor of psychology and neuroscience.

"There's always a cost even when you need them," he said.

Sam, a sophomore, said he and many of his friends seek out "study drugs" especially near finals, when focus is crucial. All the names of students in this article have been changed to protect their identities.

"I use several [pills] in a week's time during finals week," he said. "[Feeling like I need them] speaks to my propensity to get a little too f-ed up too often. I think [the drugs] address attention deficit problems, but not because I'm not diagnosed."

Another trend from the data that interested Rabiner was the increase in use by class year. About 9 percent of the Duke population responded to the survey, and out of the respondents, about 2 percent of freshmen reported using ADHD drugs at least once, as well as 7 percent of sophomores, 13 percent of juniors and 20 percent of seniors.

The survey indicated similar rates of males to females, but more use among Caucasian students, Greek members and students who also reported using other drugs and alcohol, Rabiner added.

Will, a junior who is not in a fraternity, said he has noticed unsavory side effects in his friends who have taken Adderall consistently.

"They have trouble sleeping and there's always a come-down when they get irritable and depressed, but it's usually pretty short in duration," he said.

Despite the negative side effects, most students who used the drugs to study reported they had positive results with concentration. But Rabiner noted that the study could not determine whether the students' academic performance actually improved.

Differences in the results between UNC-Greensboro and Duke were very minor, he added. But when comparing Duke's results with other schools around the country, Rabiner said, "one thing is clear--that [ADHD drug abuse for studying] occurs more often at more academically competitive schools."

More students who have used "study drugs" without a prescription reported having greater difficulty focusing than students who have never used the drugs, Rabiner said.

Although most of his friends use it to study, Will said he uses it to stay awake later to party. Sam, who is in a fraternity, also said that he and his friends use the drugs both to study and party.

"I have friends who will refer to Adderall as 'poor man's cocaine.' They just grind it up and snort it at a party to be more active and alert and recover from the rest of the party. It's more affordable than cocaine. But for me, it's not like that. It's just a study aid," Sam said.

Hoyle and Rabiner both said they hope the results of their study will promote further research into the effects of these medications on people who do not have ADHD, as well as encourage students who have attention difficulties to get properly diagnosed.

"If students feel [keeping attention and focusing] is a problem, they should seek out professional evaluation," Rabiner said. "They should try to learn what the nature of attention difficulties may be, and they should not try to self-medicate."

Share and discuss “Some turn to ADHD meds for academics” on social media.