Blue Devils, Terrapins reprise a fiery rivalry

Forget the miracle minute. It takes only six seconds to epitomize the fierce rivalry between Duke and Maryland.

Those six seconds were all that kept the Blue Devils from earning their first national championship in 2006, when the Terrapins' Kristi Toliver nailed an improbable 3-pointer over 6-foot-7 Alison Bales to force overtime and propel Maryland to the national title-all after Duke led by 13 points with 15 minutes remaining.

How's that for a miracle?

The recent history between the two teams will linger on their minds when the No. 5 Blue Devils (13-1, 1-0 in the ACC) host the No. 14 Terrapins (13-2, 1-0) Monday at 7:30 p.m. in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

"I can't wait," senior Abby Waner said. "I'd be completely lying if I say I didn't think about North Carolina or Maryland-they're two very good teams."

Since that dramatic night in Boston, the rivalry has been filled with matchups between top-5 teams in front of sold out crowds. And while Maryland is out of the top 10 and the game is not yet sold out, few expect the game to be any less intense.

The rivalry hits close to home for Waner, one of the only players on this year's team who played an integral role on the 2006 team. The guard took the loss especially hard, and is still asked often about that game, which she has not re-watched and says she likely never will.

But the competition is personal for Waner, too, as Maryland forward Marissa Coleman is one of her best friends. The two met when playing for USA Basketball and have remained close ever since.

"Marissa and I talked the other night... she'll be here after the game, and for the sake of our friendship, we're going to allow a 20-minute buffer for whoever's on the losing end to pout, or to do what they will for those 20 minutes," Waner said.

Waner has used her emotion to her advantage lately against Maryland, averaging 14 points in her last two games against the Terrapins. Maryland beat Duke twice in the regular season last year, but Duke got its revenge in the ACC Tournament. The Blue Devils also topped Maryland twice the year before.

But Waner's 3-point prowess will be matched by her nemesis Toliver, now a senior, who leads the Terrapins with 17.1 points a game.

Despite the pair's history of outstanding perimeter play, though, the outcome of this contest will be determined just as much in the paint. Chante Black has been dominant down low for the Blue Devils, averaging 15.5 points and 7.6 rebounds a game in Duke's current 11-game winning streak.

Black's history against Maryland, however, has been less than stellar, as she has averaged only 6.7 points and 6.9 rebounds in 10 career games against the Terrapins.

Black's road to the hoop won't be any easier this season as Coleman and freshman center Lynetta Kizer have proven to be formidable.

Still, the Blue Devils have no intention of changing their overall strategy of running their offense through Black.

"Chante has to touch the ball, because A., she can score, and B., in a halfcourt offense, you get the ball inside and it opens up the offense," Waner said.

Indeed, the next installment of this intense rivalry will be epitomized by these intriguing individual matchups, both in the paint and around the 3-point line.

The Blue Devils just hope that Toliver and the Terrapins don't have any more miracles up their sleeves.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils, Terrapins reprise a fiery rivalry” on social media.