Senate backs addition of Food Factory

Students with a hankering for breaded eggplant, melted mozzarella and roasted red peppers on focaccia bread can let the mouth-watering begin.

Duke Student Government members voted at their meeting Wednesday night to support the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee's recommendation to bring a new restaurant-The Food Factory-to campus next semester. The Cary-based eatery was the stand-out favorite among DUSDAC members, who sampled the food from several different vendors during the semester.

"After spending the semester visiting all of these places, we think The Food Factory is the best place by far," said DUSDAC Co-Chair Jason Taylor, a junior.

Director of Dining Services Jim Wulforst said there are several dining options on campus with declining revenues.

"There are some venues that do need change," he said. "We spent three hours eating at [The Food Factory] and just rolled out of there. We all said afterwards that we need this place on campus."

Although details concerning a location have not yet been determined, Wulforst said The Food Factory will be at Duke in the next three months.

Due to contractual obligations, neither DUSDAC committee members nor Wulforst would disclose whether The Food Factory would be installed in a new space or replace a current eating option on campus.

The Food Factory is primarily a deli, but offers a wide selection of salads, pastas and other hot entrees, along with a breakfast menu.

"They might even be willing to do breakfast at night," Taylor said. "We have been really impressed with the restaurant's management and their willingness to work with us."

In other business:

DSG members voted to recognize Stop Motion, a new dance group recently approved by the Student Organization Finance Committee. Recognition of a second group, Duke Students for Humane Borders, was tabled for a future meeting.

Sophomore Andrew Brown, vice president for Durham and regional affairs; senior Lauren Maisel, vice president for student affairs; and sophomore Mike Lefevre, vice president for athletics and campus services, each gave semester reviews. Currently in the works are a new campus chalking policy, beer for purchase in the Lobby Shop and a location for a Duke Bikes outpost on East Campus.

Share and discuss “Senate backs addition of Food Factory” on social media.