RGAC rates selectives for West housing

The second-round scores are in, and in one year's time West Campus residential groups may be doing a little reshuffling.

The Residential Group Assessment Committee released its annual evaluation scores for residential selective living groups and fraternities last Tuesday. Scores from the two completed assessments averaged with next year's totals will determine the order in which all residential groups will select their new living spaces for Fall 2010.

"This year, since the committee has one year of experience under its belt, the process went a lot more smoother in both the committee's and groups' perspectives," said senior Kevin Thompson, chair of the RGAC committee and Campus Council vice president.

The raw average of last year's and this year's RGAC scores will also determine the order that groups displaced from Few Quadrangle during the renovations this semester will choose their sections in Few for Fall 2009, Thompson said.

Though five groups-Phi Delta Theta, Alpha Epsilon Pi and Kappa Alpha Order fraternities and Round Table and Prism selective living groups-were relocated from Few last year, Thompson said only four will be moving back to Few because KA has requested to maintain section in Craven Quadrangle. Round Table will have first selection of Few, followed by Phi Delt, AEPi and Prism, in that order.

"I think our plan reflected really well on what do we do as a group, and the score reflected really well the effort we put into it," said junior Kat Maxson, who co-authored the RGAC report for Round Table.

Round Table, who received the highest RGAC score last year, also had the highest total out of all the groups this year.

Although Prism will be picking its section in Few last, President Danielle Hotten, a junior, said she felt any section in Few will be an amenable space.

In order to avoid last year's point inflation and to give more spread between the groups' scores, the committee was more critical during the evaluation process this year, Thompson said.

Scores for all residential groups, except three-Delta Tau Delta fraternity, SHARE and Maxwell House-were lower than last year's totals.

Some groups's scores-including Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, Wayne Manor, Arts Theme House and Scott (Women's Studies) House-dropped as much as 20 points from last year's total.

Junior Eskinder Zewdu, president of Scott House-which received the lowest score-said Scott's RGAC total was unexpected and declined further comment because he was expecting to meet with RGAC committee members to discuss the issue.

"Clearly, with any kind of score, you want to understand why you were given that score and what the basis was for it," he said.

Thompson explained that Scott House's score was so low because the RGAC committee did not see how the group was utilizing its space to fulfill the mission of the group.

"The general sentiment among the [people] evaluating Scott House was that [the group] in its current form could have existed like any other student organization and they weren't maximizing or capitalizing upon the resources they have with residential space," he said.

Although SHARE's RGAC score had the most significant increase-about 8 points-from last year, SHARE President Colin Lewis, a senior who also served on the RGAC committee, said he felt the evaluation process is subjective and not a true reflection of any group's capabilities.

"I personally am interested in hearing people's comments and critiques, and I would like to make those notes heard as it were," he said. "I don't see how they're going to increase the accuracy of the process if they don't get the input from the actual groups."

Share and discuss “RGAC rates selectives for West housing” on social media.