DHPC rejects demolition request

The Durham Historic Preservation Commission denied North Carolina Central University's request to demolish the famed historical Edwards-Rivera house at 1712 Fayetteville St. after a public hearing Tuesday morning.

The fate of the landmark, however, still remains in question as NCCU administrators may choose to appeal the ruling.

The 96-year-old structure has housed three influential black families in North Carolina that have played prominent roles in the history of the region, including Gaston Alonzo Edwards, the first licensed black architect in the state. Most recently, the house was occupied by renowned civil rights photojournalist Alexander Rivera, when the university bought the property from him in 1997.

"These families made indelible marks not only in the history of Durham but on the history of North Carolina, sometimes on the nation," said Carolyn Boone, great-granddaughter of NCCU founder James Shepard and a vocal opponent of the proposed demolition. "There are just too many fascinating, too many important stories affiliated with the built history of that era for the citizens of Durham to stand by and watch that history be done away with."

She added that she hopes the Commission's decision sets the precedent for an emphasis on the preservation of Durham's unique history, especially in relation to its rich black heritage.

The razing of the house was part of NCCU's 10-year master plan for expansion, approved by the university's board of trustees in April to alleviate parking and housing shortages on campus and to make room for new facilities.

The Historical Preservation Commission had the power to block the request for demolition in this instance because the Rivera house was classified as a building of statewide significance by the State Historic Preservation Office in May. This was the first time the committee was able to deny such a request, based on the house's designation.

The decision was the culmination of an emotionally charged, seven-month-long battle that pitted community members against the NCCU administration on the issues of urban renewal, growth, development and historical preservation.

Opponents of the plan said the university administration-led by Chancellor Charlie Nelms-was unreceptive to the needs and concerns of the community in its handling of the situation.

"We had long been advocates for an enlightened approach to this situation where everybody talks about their interests and lays it out on the table but that has not been forthcoming," said Denise Hester, Durham resident and member of the Fayetteville Street Planning Group. "It's unfortunate to have to go head-to-head like this."

University administrators are declining requests for comment regarding the Master Plan and the Historic Preservation Commission's decision, Miji Bell, director of the Office of Public Relations at NCCU, wrote in an e-mail.

The irony of the situation, however, is that the late Rivera himself, who passed away in October, did not take an active interest in its preservation.

"That house has no value," he told The Chronicle in April. "I would never bother speaking up in its defense."

In fact, The News & Observer reported that Rivera wrote to NCCU officials in 2007 in support of demolition of the house.

Nonetheless, pro-preservationists said his reaction was an expression of humility.

"No one wants to say, 'Yes, preserve this house, because I was so important,'" Hester said. "I would expect that from any person who has some age and some wisdom who does not want to enlarge their own legacy-that's for others to do. I think he expected and he trusted the community to do what it needed to do."

Steve Cruse, senior planner for the Durham City-County Planning Department, said there is a possibility that NCCU may appeal the decision because of the derelict condition of the house and the high cost of renovation. The Historic Preservation Commission is declining requests for comment pending the potential appeal.

Share and discuss “DHPC rejects demolition request” on social media.