New bill to expand G.I. benefits

Nearly 70 years ago, the GI Bill sent millions of World War II veterans from service to school.

Now, as veterans fresh out of combat confront a troubled economy, returning to school may seem a fanciful aim. But as of August 1, 2009, a new GI Bill will allow veterans who have served more than three years since 9/11 to seek support in their educational pursuits.

Proposed by Sen. Jim Webb, D-Va., the new GI Bill will provide veterans with several new benefits, including $1,000 per year for supplies, a monthly housing stipend and money for tuition, according to the GI Bill 2008 Web site.

"I would like to emphasize that this is not simply an expansion of veterans' educational benefits," Webb said in a statement. "This is a new program, a deserved program. It has now been nearly seven years since 9/11-seven years since those who have been serving in our military began earning the right for a proper wartime GI Bill."

Scott Silliman, director of Duke Law School's Center for Law, Ethics and National Security, said the GI Bill is especially relevant in today's economic climate.

"In the current troubled economy when many in the labor force are losing their jobs and new employment opportunities are hard to find, going back to school for a college degree may be the most prudent move for those separating from the armed forces," he said.

Since the original GI Bill, Congress has developed other programs that benefit veterans and their children.

Jayme Johnson, a third-year graduate student in genetics, said such support is pivotal for students who rely on their parents for college tuition. As a full-time student whose mother served for 20 years in the Army and was diagnosed with biploar disorder last year, Johnson receives support from the Montgomery GI Bill, a vocational rehabilitation program for disabled veterans. Johnson receives $900 a month while she is enrolled at Duke.

"The bill has helped me feel financially comfortable," Johnson said.

After her mother's diagnosis, Johnson recalled receiving the informational brochure describing the Veterans Affairs benefits in disbelief.

"This is unreal," she remembered saying. "I don't believe it."

Silliman said he expects that the bill will boost enrollment at certain universities.

"My sense is that we will see an increase in veterans enrolling in state colleges and universities, and also in community colleges," he said. "I'm not sure we will see a great increase in enrollment in more expensive schools such as Duke, but we should see some."

University Registrar Bruce Cunningham said that although it is difficult to predict how the new bill will impact University enrollment, he is optimistic about its potential effects.

"Hopefully it will mean many more of our veterans will be able to take advantage of the aid provided to them as a result of this bill," he said.

Share and discuss “New bill to expand G.I. benefits” on social media.