Bread and butter

Diverse, deep, and decidedly experienced are three alliterative ways to describe the Blue Devils frontcourt this year.

After all, Duke features one of, if not the, best frontlines in the nation this season, led by seniors Chante Black and Carrem Gay, and juniors Joy Cheek and Keturah Jackson.

"Their strength is their offensive flexibility," said assistant coach Al Brown, who handles the post players. "They can score both on the block as well as outside."

Duke's frontcourt is unique in today's modern game, as no player can be pigeonholed to a specialty.

Cheek spends the majority of her time at power forward, yet had the team's best 3-point shooting percentage last year. Jackson can post up at small forward, but also has the ability to play either of the guard positions, allowing another big body to take her place.

And-get this-Black has been shooting the three more and more lately, drilling her first during her Blue Devil career in the Blue-White game and finishing one recent practice 7-for-7 from behind the arc. Her outside touch has become so proficient that head coach Joanne P. McCallie said she has free rein to shoot threes at will.

"[Shooting three pointers] will definitely wake some people up," Black said.

Black is the team's top returning scorer, rebounder and blocker-and McCallie said the preseason All-ACC selection is better than ever.

"Chante is stronger, quicker, faster, more agile," she said. "She has a wider range, and her game has gone to another level in terms of her athleticism, in the low block, high post and when she steps out."

In another example of Duke's flexibility, Black will periodically line up at power forward as part of a "twin towers" line-up with 6-foot-4 sophomore Krystal Thomas at center, reminiscent of Black's role as a freshman and sophomore with 6-foot-7 center Alison Bales.

Joining Thomas and Black will be Gay, who averaged 5.1 rebounds per game last season. Black and Gay, along with shooting guard Abby Waner, will be called on to provide the bulk of Duke's scoring, but they also have rebounding responsibilities.

"If Abby misses her shot, she knows that 'Te and I've got her back," Gay said.

That's a far cry from last season, when Duke was consistently outrebounded down the stretch and against the elite teams on its schedule. In order for the Blue Devils to compete against the top-10 teams they're used to beating, they will have to begin to control the battle of the boards.

"You're going to miss some shots," McCallie said. "I could care less about missing the first shot if you've got the second shot. The inside game is your bread and butter."

If the Blue Devils do manage to secure better rebounding numbers and improve on the defensive side of the ball, they might just be able to lay claim to the best frontcourt in the country. And, as McCallie noted, the victories will come.

"The game is won in the paint," she said. "Points in the paint determine the national champion just about every year."

Share and discuss “Bread and butter” on social media.