In Stella's footsteps, eyes on the prize: Panda Force

Duke is a factory for a lot of things. Boisterous liberals. Closet conservatives. And, until recently, successful investment bankers.

However, we may soon have to add another item to the list: up-and-coming indie-rock stars.

In 2007, student band Stella by Starlight won mtvU's first annual Woodie Award for Best Music on Campus, an honor designed specifically for college bands.

And Tuesday, Panda Force, a band comprised of four juniors (including recess staff member Sam Schlinkert), was named as a finalist for this year's competition. After being voted into the top five campus acts from a list of 25 semifinalists, the group has until Friday at midnight to garner enough support to win the coveted prize. The winning band will receive $5,000, and the top two vote-getters will perform at the Woodie ceremony Nov. 12 in New York City.

The group, which formed in April 2007, describes their sound as "post-'90s guitar rock" and cites Radiohead, People in Planes and the Wombats as their biggest influences.

"Our music is definitely guitar-driven," said lead guitarist David Munoz, a junior. "We don't really try to have a pop sound. It's pretty diverse."

The band was first motivated to enter the competition after noticing the considerable exposure the contest provided Stella by Starlight.

"We heard about the competition because of all the publicity Stella got, and we figured it was worth a shot," said drummer Navid Nafissi, a junior. "We never expected it to go so well."

The coming deadline has forced the group to enter full-on campaign mode. Since first hearing about their selection, band members have feverishly sent out Facebook messages, spammed fraternity listservs and even petitioned some of the group's older fans for support.

"We feel like we have a legitimate chance because we are really pushing it, even asking our parents and family friends to vote," Nafissi said.

Yet regardless of whether the group wins the Woodie, its members have enjoyed the opportunity to spread their music and engage new listeners.

"We are really trying to move forward as a band, and [this competition] is helping us see that we have a lot of potential," Nafissi said. "When you are in a college band, it's hard to take a step back and appreciate it, which I feel like this process is allowing us to do."

For Munoz, the experience has been affirming-both of Panda Force's talent, and of Duke's worth as an incubator for music.

"It's definitely helped us to see that we are actually good at this," he said. "Hopefully, we can keep the Duke legacy going."

To vote, visit http://woodies.mtvu.com/nominees/best_music_on_campus.

Share and discuss “In Stella's footsteps, eyes on the prize: Panda Force” on social media.