Riley, Georgia natives return home Saturday

For 15 players this weekend, going on the road to Georgia Tech really means going back to their home state.

And for one Blue Devil in particular, that means it's time for revenge.

"I know that with Georgia Tech, Eron Riley is ready to play," quarterback Thaddeus Lewis said. "You could cut one of his fingers off and that guy's still going to play in this game."

Riley, out of Windsor Forest High School in Savannah, Ga., has made a habit of producing big plays against the Yellow Jackets. In three games against Georgia Tech, the senior wide receiver has caught passes of 38, 47 and 64 yards, with the last two resulting in touchdowns. Although Riley has only managed seven total catches and two touchdowns in those games, his receptions against the Yellow Jackets have resulted in 208 yards for nearly 30 yards a catch.

Riley was not available Tuesday at the team's weekly media luncheon, but Lewis did not hesitate to express Riley's excitement for Duke's first road game.

"You want to shine on the people you play against-tell them, 'Just because I'm not playing with y'all, I'm still doing big things on this end,'" Lewis said.

"[With Riley] being from Georgia, there might be a little Facebook talk going back and forth and some text messaging."

Riley might have felt slighted for not getting a scholarship offer from Georgia Tech, Lewis said. Coming out of high school as a two-star recruit, Riley received offers from Duke, East Carolina, Clemson, Central Florida and Vanderbilt-but none from his own state.

It would be hard, however, for Riley to top his performances this season. His 22 catches are second-best in the ACC, and his six receiving touchdowns are not only tops in the conference, but also tied for thirdbest in the country.

Riley is far from the only Blue Devil from the Peach State. Cornerback Jabari Marshall, who scored on an interception return last week, is from Atlanta. Linemen Clifford Respress and Fred Roland also hail from Georgia.

While Lewis suggested the players may compete harder because they are home, head coach David Cutcliffe worries about the exact opposite scenario-that they may actually play worse.

"Sometimes you need to watch players being distracted-a lot of people around, a lot of hellos," Cutcliffe said. "I'd like to think all those guys from Georgia will play better than they've been playing. But, again, I hope most of them play at that level all the time."

Cutcliffe also emphasized that usually it's the younger players who are affected by traveling back home.

With the team confident in its ability to win, however, Lewis expects the youngsters-as well as his star receiver-to play with even more energy than usual. And if Riley can lead that charge, he may finally be able to earn his first win against the Yellow Jackets.

"If you match those kids' energy, that could get the whole team going," Lewis said. "I know they're going to show up and that could be a factor."

Share and discuss “Riley, Georgia natives return home Saturday” on social media.