Editor's note

In honor of Yom Kippur, recess offers an Old Testament tribute to the editor's recent and total flop at selling out:

And so it came to be that in the Kingdom of recess, Robert Winterode and Corinne Liu begat (well, not in that way... gross!) Lexi Richards, and Lexi begat Varun Lella and Varun begat David.

And in the year of our Lord 2005, when the Lord let his wrath fall down on Duke, and the people of the land were accursed with plagues of reporters asking about lacrosse players, then was Corinne called unto McKinsey & Co. for to consult. And the people of recess rejoiced.

And then in the year of our Lord 2006, when the plagues hadst parted, then too didst Lexi find pleasure in the Lord's sight, and she too joined the Chosen.

And in the year of our Lord 2007, when Varun couldst barely publish an issue of recess before 6 a.m., then didst he too hear the call. And the people were surprised, but delighted.

But in the year of our Lord 2008, then didst the wrath-or rather apathy-of the consulting profession fall down on the head of recess, and its editor was among the accursed of men, caught in the flood of Ibankeralites fleeing out of Wall Street into the promised land of milk, honey and employment among the consultants.

And then didst the editor cry out, "My Lord, my Lord, why hast thou forsaken me?" And his managing editors laughed imperiously, perched from their comfortable positions, with offers from private equity firms and second-round interviews all around.

But then did an angel of the Lord come to succor the editor, and didst say unto him, "Why wouldst thou wish to betray thy long-stated disdain, nay hatred for consulting and sell out, you vile creature?"

And the editor found peace, and then didst he begin to salivate at the prospect of unemployment and relaxation, and not working 80 hour weeks.

And then did he muse on the other worthless hacks who worked for recess, and didst remember that even with a large head, liking Ryan Adams and a good deal of pretension he couldst find success, and perhaps even wrangle frivolous Duke Conversations invites.

And then did he rejoice.

Share and discuss “Editor's note” on social media.