Admins talk West Union renovations

University officials met Tuesday to discuss possible renovations to the West Union Building and the relocation of West Union eateries, sources confirmed. Details are expected by the end of the week.

Talks of renovating the building began years ago, and administrators have most recently considered constructing a new building on West Campus to accommodate West Union eateries during renovations, sources said. Because the building is so old, it is also likely that the West Union will be torn down entirely and reconstructed within the next few years.

If renovations are approved, construction could take up to four years, Vice Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Education Steve Nowicki previously told The Chronicle. Director of Dining Services Jim Wulforst was not available for comment about the Tuesday meeting.

"We need to figure out how to put in a dining location because if we do any renovations, the West Union will be put out of service for at least a year, and that would put a number of current dining locations in the West Union out of service, so we need to come up with some alternatives." said Duke Student Government Executive Vice President Sunny Kantha, a senior.

In recent weeks, student groups have met to discuss the division of social spaces. Although current plans are preliminary, some student leaders said they have been meeting with administrators to solicit student input on possible changes.

Although DSG President Jordan Giordano, a senior, did not attend the Tuesday meeting, he said University officials are working to seek student feedback prior to making a final decision regarding construction and renovations.

"I think they're trying to make sure this is done quickly but done really well so we have a nice space for students," he said. "Some of the less functional aspects of the Bryan Center will be compensated in the West Union after it's renovated-you'll see a real working student center."

Share and discuss “Admins talk West Union renovations” on social media.