90-year-old alum runs for N.C. office

The recent economic crisis has taken center stage on a number of candidates' platforms in this year's election, but one candidate and long-time Duke alumnus actually lived through the nation's worst economic downturn-the Great Depression.

John Forlines, Trinity '39, celebrated his 90th birthday this year and hopes to capture Caldwell County votes in his run to represent the 87th district of the North Carolina House of Representatives. Forlines, who describes himself as a lifelong Democrat, entered the U.S. Army after graduating from Duke, later moving to the Caldwell County town of Granite Falls in 1954.

As head of the Bank of Granite for 52 years, Forlines helped the bank grow and became a well-known public figure in the town.

Now, Forlines wants to serve the members of the 87th district in a different way.

"This is the county I've lived in for 54 years," he said. "I wouldn't have run if I didn't think I could help people a lot."

If he wins, Forlines will be the oldest representative in the North Carolina House of Representatives.

Elisabeth Wall, founder of E. B. Wall and Associates, the communications and marketing firm that manages Forlines' campaign, said the former banker has done a lot for the community.

"I have seen all the quiet, behind-the-scenes things that he has done for people," she said. "I think just about everyone [in the county] knows his name."

Wall added that Forlines helped start the Caldwell Community College & Technical Institute and Caldwell County Hospice, and continues to be involved with both endeavors. He has also served as chair of both the State Board of Community Colleges and the North Carolina Bankers Association.

Despite his eight grandchildren and white hair, Forlines said he does not feel old, and Wall said his age will not be a barrier.

"I don't think its a question for anyone who has met him or has tried to do a battle of wits with him or played golf with him," Wall said. "There is not anything holding him back."

Forlines said he is running because Caldwell needs a jump start. The county has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state at nearly 10 percent, which Forlines attributes to outsourcing jobs overseas.

"We have lost thousands of jobs," he said. "It is my judgement that the person who has had this job just has not done anything at all."

Republican Edgar Starnes is the incumbent Forlines will attempt to defeat Election Day. Starnes is in his seventh term as state representative in a county where the 45 percent of registered voters are Republican and 35 percent are Democrat.

Forlines was honored with the University Medal for Distinguished Meritorious Service at the Founders' Day Convocation Oct. 2. The alumnus served as a member of the Board of Trustees from 1974 to 1990 and as chair of the Duke Alumni Association from 1970 to 1971, but said his ties to Duke go back much further.

Growing up a few blocks away from East Campus, Forlines was a mascot and bat boy for the Duke baseball team.

"I got started as a Dukie at 10 years old," he said. "And it has just been a lifetime love affair ever since."

Share and discuss “90-year-old alum runs for N.C. office” on social media.