Smooth criminals steal affections

Even though the King of Pop is no longer performing, it's comforting to know that his legacy lives on.

Who's Bad, a Michael Jackson tribute band based in Chapel Hill, has been playing together and touring the country for more than four years. Friday, they returned home for a performance at the Cat's Cradle.

What began as a collection of UNC students who wanted to play original funk music with the occasional Jackson cover, Who's Bad slowly began to play more and more of Jackson's music and soon headed in a different direction.

"Eventually, we asked ourselves, 'Why don't we just be all Michael Jackson?'" said Vamsi Tadepalli, the band's cofounder and saxophonist.

Four years (and five singers) later, Who's Bad has perfected its act into a high-energy, non-stop celebration of pop music's most productive and enigmatic figure. In a performance that lasted more than two hours this weekend, the band impressed audience members with their mastery of Jackson's music and elaborate choreographed dance sessions.

"They were unbelievable," senior Jamie Chu said. "They did a great job of impersonating Michael Jackson. I especially liked the synchronized dancing. They did it really well, and it was hilarious."

Of course, the star of the show was undoubtedly vocalist Joseph Bell, a compelling performer and impeccable Jackson impersonator. Showing meticulous attention to detail, Bell replicated Jackson's dance moves and style, complete with the iconic white glove and red leather jacket. In a surprise and as the highlight of the performance, Bell disappeared for a few minutes only to return dressed in an Afro and bellbottoms, ready to cover Michael's work with the Jackson Five.

"The Afro was pretty cool when he came out as little Michael," said Dave Ranzenhofer, Trinity '07.

Ending on a high note, Who's Bad concluded their set with an exhausting "Bille Jean/Beat It/Thriller" medley that left concertgoers pleading for at least one more song.

With such a crowd-pleasing performance, it would be easy for Who's Bad to simply settle on their current playlist. But the saxophonist promised the band would continue to explore all of Jackson's music.

"There's a certain level of sophistication in Michael's music that's not in a lot of other pop musician's work," Tadepalli said. "We've just barely touched his repertoire."

In the end, it didn't matter whether you were black or white, Who's Bad put on an unforgettable show.

Share and discuss “Smooth criminals steal affections” on social media.