OIT settles Web access problems

For the past three weeks, Internet connections across campus have been spotty at best. Students living on East, Central and West campuses have all reported issues with their wireless access, and some have had trouble connecting via Ethernet cables.

Duke upgraded its wireless infrastructure over the summer, adding newer, faster Cisco Aironet 1250 access points that provide speedy Internet and better range. Although Duke's wireless network has been enhanced, the campus has recently been plagued by connection issues.

The upgrade stems from technology company Cisco Systems' February announcement that it would partner with the University to deploy more than 2,500 wireless access points for a wireless network spanning more than 6 million square feet-the largest of its kind in the world.

The Office of Information Technology was given a very short time frame to install the new wireless equipment on campus over the summer, said Bob Johnson, OIT's senior director of communications infrastructure. Delivery delays meant that installation was not completed until the day before everyone returned to campus. This allowed virtually no time for hardware testing, and as a result issues did crop up, Johnson said.

OIT uncovered those issues Thursday of last week and staffers were able to fix them.

"Essentially, there was a piece of hardware that was corrupting data," Johnson said. "We fixed the problem, and service [has] dramatically improved since Friday."

ACES and Blackboard-two Web sites that students use on a daily basis-have been more difficult to access.

"I was having so much trouble with wireless that it'd take 45 minutes to get on Blackboard," freshman Sam Portelli said.

Internet access in the libraries, however, has been fairly normal, students said. Those who go there to work have reported minimal issues connecting via Wi-Fi and said the hard-wired computers in the library are also working.

A possible problem in the dorms is interference from personal routers, said senior Scott Steinberg, who works at an OIT help desk in Lilly Library.

Indeed, Johnson said wireless routers in addition to 2.4 GHz cordless telephones can disrupt Internet connections. He proposed talks with Residence Life and Housing Services to lay out a new policy concerning students' use of such devices that can cause problems with the new network.

Johnson said if students notice any areas with lacking service, they should submit a help ticket to OIT.

"We just can't see every problem area, and we are committed to providing the best coverage possible," he said.

Share and discuss “OIT settles Web access problems” on social media.