A little history to start your day right

I figure I got my start in investigative reporting when I was 12. You see, that's when I learned how to pick locks. MIT's "Guide to Lockpicking" by Ted the Tool is really a great piece of literature that I recommend everyone read. Seriously. It will change your life. Anyway, I'll be the first one to tell you that investigative reporting turned out to be a little harder than I thought. I had little trouble getting in anywhere (after I picked the front door lock seven times, my father decided it was probably time for a new one) but unfortunately, I figured out after the fact that you really ought not to break and enter into people's houses whom you want to "interview." I found this out the hard way with my next-door neighbor Mrs. Brady, who came after me with a broom after she realized I wasn't one of her four cats or her pet goat Rutabega. Even though I've since moved on to more legal extracurriculars, I still get a little shudder when I see one of those old wooden brooms.

So you see, I have sort of a botched past with investigative reporting, but I'm going to give it another round anyway. I thought I would warn you: Here's attempt No. 1.

Just a few days ago, those rattily robed frat-tastics were out walking around the quad doing their ritual robotics. You all know who I mean-they're in one of those secret societies that revolves around being not so secret-unless you consider a much-too-short robe and Ray Bans a real disguise. Though admittedly, the FBI and CIA could learn a few things about sunglass fashion from them. And yet, the thought struck me: UNC has The Order of Gimghoul and The Order of the Gorgon's Head, in addition to a few legendary honor societies such as The Order of the Golden Fleece. So why is it that we only have the order of robotic males on the quad? (I have no idea what their name is.) In other words, why don't we have any prominent secret societies on campus, like UNC does?

I can't imagine that UNC can do anything better (repeatedly, at least)... so after digging around in the Library Archives for a while, I found exactly what I was looking for. Just as I had thought: At one point in time, we did have an equally prominent secret society here at Duke. It originated when Duke was Trinity College; its name-The Order of Red Friars.

According to the archives, the Order was founded in 1913. Each year's group was seven senior men (the Septemvirate) chosen by the previous year's members in a ritual "tapping" ceremony held on the Chapel steps. Members were picked based on their personal character, scholarship, leadership and service to the University, and often were leaders of other organizations. In other words, these kids were picked for the Order because they were both involved and influential. All of their meetings and projects were in secret, but because they were in positions of student leadership, many ideas contrived at their secret meetings were implemented without the student body knowing anything of their origins.

Part of what made the Friars so powerful and prestigious was the fact that they were important to and utilized by the president and deans of the University in gauging and influencing student opinions. The bond between the administration and the Friars was reinforced by the fact that many upper-level administrators, faculty and Trustees were honorary or alumni Friars. Up to three honorary Friars were allowed at one time. Some notable names of past honorary Friars include William Few, William Wannamaker, William Griffith, Arthur Edens, Raymond Nasher, Robert Flowers and James Truesdale.

The Friars disbanded voluntarily in 1971, after failing to "tap" new members in 1970. This was not unexpected, as throughout the 1960's,charges of elitism swirled around the Order. A meeting of Friar alumni in 1971 determined that their time of usefulness to the University and student body had expired. The Order has never been reestablished at Duke, but as you may imagine, many of the alumni continue to be heavily involved and supportive of the University.

I, like most other people, am fascinated by things which are "secret." However, I'm pretty sure that we're still one up on UNC by virtue of the fact that our society is disbanded. For although I will be the first to say that ties to tradition and history are important and foster a sense of pride, we have open venues in which anyone can share ideas, as well as places for ideas to surface between student leaders (such as the ICC). Furthermore, although some upper-level administrators know specific students better than others, they're not influenced by some unseen body of male student power. So for now, I'm pretty happy that the only "secret" society we have are the robed robotics twice a semester on the quad. I really can't imagine that they're secretly running the school. But who knows, really?

Megan Neureither is a Trinity senior. Her column runs every other Monday.

Share and discuss “A little history to start your day right” on social media.