Draft of loft memo approved

Campus Council unanimously granted conditional approval to a memorandum that would allow students to have more autonomy over their living area at its general body meeting Thursday. The memo is in response to the current Residence Life and Housing Services loft policy prohibiting the construction of student-made lofts.

The memo outlined policy guidelines that would give students the ability to choose between personally constructing their lofts or "purchasing lofts through a vendor of their own preference." In the case of self-made lofts, students would be required to "complete a permit and waiver acknowledging any risks involved and compliance with safe building practices."

Eddie Hull, dean of residence life and executive director of housing services, served as temporary adviser for the meeting and said personally constructed lofts were an issue of fire safety-one of the principles upon which Campus Council's initial memo was rejected before.

"There is no policy that precludes them from you bringing a stack of lumber into your room." said Campus Council President Molly Bierman, a senior. "This seems like a large logical flaw in the policy."

Campus Council Vice President Kevin Thompson, a senior, said the consensus among his sources was that synthetic materials like mattresses add considerably to the fire load-not wood. He added that wood has to reach a high level of heat to combust and does not burn at an accelerated rate.

"This would be the first fire marshal who told me that students building lofts was a good idea." Hull said, in reference to one of Thompson's sources.

Final approval is contingent upon further amendment and a second electronic vote by Council members.

The memo was cosponsored by Michael Gustafson, assistant professor of the practice of electrical engineering, President of Wayne Manor Greg Rivers, a junior, President of Duke Student Government Jordan Giordano and President of the Interfraternity Council Lee Hathaway-both seniors.

In other business:

Campus Council approved a resolution that would ask RLHS to eliminate the premium billed to seniors living on Central Campus between the end of classes and commencement. Currently, West Campus residents receive nine days of complimentary housing and Central Campus residents on financial aid cannot get this premium back from the Bursar, Bierman said.

Share and discuss “Draft of loft memo approved” on social media.