Chemistry lifts Manbites apartheid play

Athol Fugard's The Island explores raw human emotion in its purist form on the intimate stage of Manbites Dog Theater.

Set in the prison in which Nelson Mandela was held for 27 years on Robben Island in Fugard's native South Africa, two cellmates struggle to survive the rigors of political incarceration and apartheid as they honor their loyalty to one another.

Proving that expression through art can serve as an effective coping mechanism in the most adverse circumstances, the play follows three days in the lives of cellmates John and Winston as they attempt to prepare a performance of Sophocles' Antigone for an approaching concert for the prison's cruel warden. Through rehearsing and arguing about the classical piece, The Island takes on the significance of the classic tragedy, and the audience is presented with a modern variation on the old debate between the importance of human rights and the power of the state.

Thaddeaus Edwards, as the quick-witted classical literature enthusiast John, delivers an inspired and upbeat performance, leading the audience from fiery indignation to the verge of tears. LaMark Wright, who plays opposite Edwards as the gruff but endearing Winston, provides most of the (limited) comedic relief in the play. Wright successfully portrays a man who while not intellectually gifted is charming and honest in his yearning for freedom and justice.

The on-stage chemistry between Edwards and Wright is apparent. With close to no props and no scenic backdrops on stage, the duo captures the attention of audience members through other means such as body language. In addition to the music and dialogue, the actors feed off each other's energy and passion while delivering their lines flawlessly.

The modest production value further accents the chemistry between Edwards and Wright, and The Island brings all the pain and mysticism of Apartheid South Africa to audiences.

The Island runs until Sept. 13 at Manbites Dog Theater, 703 Foster St. in Durham. Tickets are $12 weeknights, $17 weekends. Visit http://www.manbitesdogtheater.org/show/ for more information.

Share and discuss “Chemistry lifts Manbites apartheid play” on social media.