SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke's early scoring outburst demolishes Coastal Carolina, 9-0

With just over 16 minutes left in the first half, junior Jane Alukonis set up a corner kick with the Blue Devils holding a commanding 4-0 advantage. As she prepared to service the ball, forward KayAnne Gummersall yelled from the bench: "Put this in, Duke!"

Alukonis delivered. She sent a perfect ball into freshman Ashley Rape, who headed in her second goal of the match-and the second goal of her already-promising Blue Devil career-to give Duke a 5-0 lead as the team coasted into halftime.

It was that easy for the Blue Devils against Coastal Carolina (0-2) at Koskinen Stadium Sunday.

No. 16 Duke (1-0) thrived in its new 4-4-2 formation to rout the Chanticleers 9-0 in its opening match of the season and temporarily put aside its scoring troubles of a year ago.

"We are a lot stronger than we were last year," Gummersall said. "We have that goal-scoring mentality. Obviously, this wasn't the toughest test we'll have, but I think we'll be able to bring it in games down the road."

The junior forward factored heavily in the Blue Devil onslaught. After spending much of 2007 hampered by an ankle injury and scoring just once the entire year-compared to the team-leading total of seven her freshman year-Gummersall doubled her production from last season, knocking in Duke's third and fourth goals. Her improved mobility was evident in her first tally, as she ran down the left side of the box and used her left foot to put the ball in from 15 yards out.

But Gummersall's double took a backseat to the scoring outburst of Rape, the freshman centerback. Playing in her first collegiate contest, the defender not only ably filled in for injured centerback Sara Murphy but also added production on the offensive end, heading the ball in twice off of corner kicks.

"I just wanted to come out and play my hardest and make a first tackle," Rape said. "I don't tend to score a lot, so it was exciting. It was a new experience."

Two more Blue Devils also tallied the first goals of their collegiate careers. Freshman Cody Newman, who started at forward alongside Gummersall, beat the goalkeeper on a ball played from fellow freshman Chelsea Canepa to open the scoring in the second half and extend Duke's lead to 7-0. Sophomore transfer Lynnea Pappas knocked in the last goal of the match from a corner kick.

In total, seven players scored and 22 got time on the field-a testament to the depth head coach Robbie Church had been touting during the preseason. But regardless of who entered the game, the level of play remained high as the Blue Devils thoroughly handled their opposition.

"Today was a great start," Gummersall said. "This is how Duke soccer is, and this is our tradition. Hopefully, we'll keep it up for the rest of the year."

NOTES: Murphy, the team's incumbent starter, had surgery on her ankle last week and will likely miss the season, Church said after the game.

Share and discuss “Duke's early scoring outburst demolishes Coastal Carolina, 9-0” on social media.