DUHS places in top 10 for 19th straight year

Ranking in the top 10 for the 19th consecutive year, Duke University Hospital System placed eighth in U.S. News and World Report's list of "America's Best Hospitals," which was released in July.

Duke Hospital was one of 19 hospitals to make the list's honor roll and the only hospital in the Southeast listed in the top 10, despite dropping slightly from its seventh-place spot in 2007 and 2006.

"I believe Duke has the potential to be the top in the country," said Dr. Victor Dzau, chancellor for health affairs and president and chief executive officer of the Duke University Health System. "I think it would be a terrible day when we can say that we can't improve anymore."

Accounting for factors such as reputation, death rate, technology and care-related services, U.S. News & World Report ranked Duke 21st or higher in 15 of the 16 adult care specialties reviewed by the magazine and 28th or higher in five of the six pediatric categories.

"We are unique in that we focus on the ability to take important scientific discoveries and translate them into clinical applications, practice evidence-based medicine [and have a] high sense of patient care," Dzau said.

In total, 170 hospitals, of the 5,453 community hospitals in the country were ranked in at least one specialty. To make the honor roll, hospitals had to have received top marks in six or more specialties.

Duke Hospital received high marks in 11 areas of care, earning 18 points-2 points for ranking at or close to the top in certain specialties, and 1 point for being ranked slightly lower. Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore ranked first overall for the 19th straight year, earning 30 points for excellence in 15 categories.

In adult care, Duke had its highest ranking in gynecology (fourth). Geriatric care, urology, orthopedics, heart and heart surgery, ophthalmology and respiratory disorders were all in the top 10. Duke also ranked well in pediatrics specialties, rating highest in cancer (14th).

Share and discuss “DUHS places in top 10 for 19th straight year” on social media.