New dean joins Trinity ranks

Kevin Moore, the current associate dean for research at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, will join Duke in July as Trinity College of Arts and Sciences senior associate dean for faculty affairs, George McLendon, incoming dean of Trinity College and dean of the faculty of Arts and Sciences, announced Friday.

Moore succeeds Charles Byrd, who is retiring after serving as senior associate dean for faculty affairs for more than 20 years.

"Duke's reputation for academic excellence rests on the abilities of its faculty," Moore said in a statement. "I am pleased to be part of the Arts and Sciences administration and to be involved in helping bring the best faculty to Duke and to retain the best faculty as well."

Moore has been associate dean for research at UNC-G since 2004 and previously held positions at the Social Science Research Council in New York, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, California State University at Hayward and the Transnational Institute in Amsterdam.

"Kevin Moore has considerable experience as a scholar and an administrator," McLendon said. "We are certain he will make a valuable contribution to the Arts and Sciences administration."

As senior associate dean for faculty affairs, Moore will be responsible for faculty leaves of absence and search, appointment, promotion and tenure processes, among other duties.

"Basically, he's in charge of the birth to death process for faculty," McLendon said in an interview with The Chronicle.

The position requires not only a vision of what it means to be a faculty member at an elite university, but also the ability to deal with a wide range of people, McLendon said. From a pool of both internal and external candidates, Moore emerged as the most qualified for the job, he added.

McLendon said he hopes Moore will work to modernize the Arts and Sciences administration's electronic records system. But McLendon noted that Moore is inheriting an efficient administration from Byrd.

"There's nothing that's broken, but it needs to be maintained and sustained-that's what we're looking for," McLendon said.

Moore said Byrd will work closely with him as he adjusts to his new post.

"Chuck Byrd's departure surely leaves a significant gap in historical memory," he said. "I very much look forward to working with him and with the rest of the Arts and Sciences community."

Share and discuss “New dean joins Trinity ranks” on social media.