ADF celebrates its 75th year this summer at Duke

This summer, the rhythm of toe shoes tapping the floor will echo throughout Reynolds Theater and Page Auditorium for the 31st consecutive year.

The American Dance Festival-a giant in the dance industry that draws spectators, choreographers, and professional and amateur dancers from around the world-will celebrate its 75th anniversary from June 5 to July 23 at Duke, the place it has called home since 1977.

The festival got off the ground at Connecticut College in New London, Conn. But when ADF directors decided to find a new stage for the showcase, Duke presented the best offer to host the event.

"Throughout the years, and particularly this season, Duke has been very gracious in their support towards us," said Concetta Duncan, North Carolina press representative for ADF.

In a nod to the festival's diamond anniversary, ADF directors have selected 60 pieces that represent the best of modern dance, past and present.

"We're celebrating the history of the American Dance Festival but also the history of the art form," Duncan said.

To involve as many individuals from the dance world as possible in the celebration, each night will offer performances by two or more companies. The festival will showcase 11 world premieres and commissions, and 10 companies will make their debut with ADF.

Of the 60 pieces in the program, four are "Past/Forward" performances that draw from the art form's past for inspiration but look forward to the future of dance with their interpretation, Duncan said.

The festival will kick off with performances by three companies from June 5 to 7 in Reynolds. With "Connect Transfer," performed by Shen Wei Dance Arts, 2007 MacArthur Foundation "genius grant" recipient Shen Wei revisits an emotionally remote piece incorporating elements of sculpture, painting and music that he debuted at ADF in 2004.

Next, David Parsons will present "Caught," an innovative work in which one dancer's movements are punctuated by the flashes of a strobe light.

The evening will conclude with Alvin Alley's "Revelations," danced by Ailey II, a piece that chronicles African Americans' journey from slavery to freedom to the tune of spirituals and holy blues.

Before the curtain closes on the festival season, ADF will shine the spotlight on six Japanese companies July 16 and 17 in Page and July 18 and 19 in Reynolds with a display that harks back to the first Japanese showcase in 1982.

Share and discuss “ADF celebrates its 75th year this summer at Duke” on social media.