Three Blue Devils Tee Off In Curtis Cup

Duke's season may be over, but seniors Amanda Blumenherst and Jennie Lee and incoming freshman Mina Harigae hit the links once more this morning on the Old Course in St. Andrews, Scotland for the Curtis Cup. The tournament is held every two years and pits female American amateur golfers against their counterparts from Great Britain and Ireland.

The teams competed in foursomes, where two golfers match up against two other golfers in alternate-shot format, with each side playing just one ball. Blumenherst was paired with UCLA's Tiffany Joh-the individual runner-up at last week's national championships-and Lee and Harigae partnered up.

Blumenherst and Joh took an early lead, winning four consecutive holes to take a 5-up lead after 12 holes, but Breanna Loucks and Florentyna Parker mounted a furious comeback to pull within one heading into the final hole. Both teams had birdie putts on the 18th, but Joh and Parker both missed to give the US the narrow victory.

Lee and Harigae found themselves in the opposite situation, as they were forced to stage a rally of their own after being four down after ten holes. Though they also pulled to within one down entering the final hole, Harigae missed her birdie putt that would have given the Americans a split victory.

The USA currently leads 2-1 with Arkansas' Stacy Lewis and recent Arizona graduate Alison Walshe combining for the other foursome victory.

--by Sabreena Merchant

Share and discuss “Three Blue Devils Tee Off In Curtis Cup” on social media.