THIRD QUARTER: Duke vs. Johns Hopkins

The Blue Jays scored an easy goal from right in front of the net to go up 5-2, and the Blue Devil faithful were getting restless.

But then Duke ripped off three goals in 45 seconds to tie it up. First, Steve Schoeffel ended the Blue Devils' 20:02 scoring drought with an unassisted tally, dodging from the goal line extended, jumping and dunking the ball over Gvodsen's shoulder. Then, Quinzani pulled Duke within one when he dodged from behind the net and scored despite being tripped in the process by a Johns Hopkins defenseman. Finally, the Blue Devils evened it up when Terrance Molinari won the faceoff beautifully and raced down the field. After passing it to Chris Tkac, he got it right back and fired it past Gvodsen.

Paul Rabil broke the tie for Johns Hopkins a few minutes later, though, shooting one into the upper right-hand corner of the net for a 6-5 Blue Jays lead.

Another highlight: as Johns Hopkins attempted to clear after a Gvodsen save, the Blue Jays risked a dangerous pass back to the goalie out in front of the net. Gvodsen's head was turned, so he didn't see Quinzani baring down on him. The goalie got the ball off just in time before Quinzani absolutely rocked him, sending Gvodsen to the ground while bringing some of the fans to their feet.

An unlucky bounce for Duke. As several players were wrestling for a groundball, it popped out and right into the stick of Kevin Huntley. With time running out in the quarter, Huntley reared back and unleashed a powerful shot over Loftus' shoulder into the top left corner of the goal. Officially, the score came with two tenths of a second left on the clock.

Johns Hopkins-7, Duke-5

--by Matthew Iles

Share and discuss “THIRD QUARTER: Duke vs. Johns Hopkins” on social media.