FOURTH QUARTER: Duke vs. Johns Hopkins

With time beginning to work against the Blue Devils, Matt Danowski scored a much-needed goal with 8:51 to go in regulation. His shot from 10 yards out was slowed down by Gvozden, but it trickled into the net to pull Duke within one at 7-6.

Johns Hopkins countered less than a minute and a half later, as George Castle scored his second goal of the year with 7:25 remaining to push the lead back to two. But the Blue Devils answered with two quick goals of their own, with Danowski firing an underhand shot into the back of the net at 7:13. Greer fed Nick O'Hara just six seconds later, knotting the score at eight.

The Blue Jays, though, didn't take long to untie the game. O'Hara picked up a cross checking penalty six seconds after his goal, and Boyle scored on the ensuing extra-man opportunity.

And then, a potentially pivotal sequence. Quinzani picked up the ball at midfield, then sprinted down the left side and rifled a shot off the crossbar. The rebound was corralled by Johns Hopkins, and Huntley scored in transition to give the Blue Jays a 10-8 edge with 4:18 remaining.

Duke had a great scoring opportunity with 2:19 remaining, as Quinzani pushed a rebound off a Steve Schoeffel shot just wide right. The ball went out of bounds, giving Hopkins possession. The Blue Jays played keep-away for the next 60 seconds before the Blue Devils forced a turnover with a minute remaining.

With 28.2 seconds to go, Brad Ross got Duke within one with a goal into the upper left corner of the net from 15 yards out. Hopkins won the ensuing faceoff, but the Blue Devils forced a turnover, getting one last shot to even the score.

Coming out of a timeout with 3.9 seconds left, Danowski rips a shot that's saved by Gvozden. The rebound squirts off to the left, and the Blue Devils can't muster another attempt before time expires. And so, for the third time in four seasons, Duke's season ends with a one-goal loss to Johns Hopkins in the NCAA Tournament.

--by Joe Drews

Share and discuss “FOURTH QUARTER: Duke vs. Johns Hopkins” on social media.