SPORTS  |  GOLF

Defending champs place 2nd at regionals

Sometimes it's not about the end result, but how you get there.

Although Duke advanced to the NCAA Championships for the 11th straight year with a top-eight finish at the East regionals, the Blue Devils moved ahead in an un-Duke-like fashion.

The three-time defending national champion Blue Devils placed second in the tournament at the University of Georgia Golf Club in Athens, Ga. over the weekend.

"[We're] definitely disappointed in coming in second and disappointed in how we played," senior Jennifer Pandolfi said. "I don't think the patience was quite there for this week."

The poor finish for the Blue Devils spoiled what could have been an impressive win after a strong start gave Duke a five-stroke lead after the first day of competition. The Blue Devils shot a 3-under 285 Thursday.

Junior Amanda Blumenherst-the two-time reigning National Player of the Year-led the way, recording a 4-under 68 with six birdies. She finished play tied for second in the individual standings, just one shot off the pace.

"Thursday was a pretty good day," head coach Dan Brooks said. "I felt good about Thursday. What we did on Thursday isn't right where we need to be, but it was a whole lot closer."

Blumenherst's success was complemented by the outstanding play of freshman Kim Donovan. She carded her lowest round as a Blue Devil, shooting a 2-under 70, including six birdies of her own to place herself in a tie for fifth individually.

"That 70 was fantastic," Brooks said. "She's been really working on her swing and it's hard to play your bets when you're fixing your swing. I was really proud of her for having pulled off a 2-under on the first day."

But after the opening round, the positives were few and far between for Duke.

The Blue Devils saw their advantage disappear on the second day of play as they shot a 15-over 303 and Florida took a three-stroke lead with a round of 295. Blumenherst recorded a 1-over and knocked in two birdies to remain tied for second, but the rest of the team did not fare as well.

Pandolfi shot an 11-over, her worst regional round in her four years at Duke, and sophomore Alison Whitaker carded a 5-over as both golfers had difficulty putting.

While Pandolfi was able to reverse her fortunes with a 3-under on the final day, Blumenherst finished tied for second with a 2-over and Whitaker again shot a 5-over 77.

"I had a lot of trouble on the greens [Friday] and I couldn't seem to shake that off," Whitaker said. "It's weary when you don't make putts."

And it was especially weary for the Blue Devils to turn in a performance that, in their eyes, was entirely unbefitting of Duke. But the sting of defeat might have been exactly what these golfers needed to motivate them as they pursue their unprecedented fourth-consecutive national title next week in Albuquerque, N.M. Both Whitaker and Pandolfi noted that this disappointment could the "best thing" for them.

"Coach had mentioned that he almost wished we would end up losing so that it would fire us up," Pandolfi said. "We're not down-this only made us angry and fired us up."

And, after all, in 2005 and 2006, Duke placed second in the east regional and ended up bringing home the national championship.

Share and discuss “Defending champs place 2nd at regionals” on social media.