Hoof 'n' Horn shines with Grease

Set in the context of a young generation struggling to find its identity, the classic musical Grease is a complex love story that has endured for decades. Duke's own theater company, Hoof 'n' Horn, is bringing the perennial fan favorite to life in Reynolds Theater tonight.

Senior Matt Colabrese, Hoof 'n' Horn president and an experienced thespian, helms this latest rendition. As the director, he has chosen to present Grease in a traditional light, albeit with some minor changes.

"The set is a little more abstract than you'll usually see for Grease," Colabrese said. "But we have rented the rights for two major songs that weren't in the original score [but are in the 1978 movie with John Travolta]."

Those songs, ambitious choreography and a dedicated cast of veteran actors and talented newcomers help Hoof 'n' Horn's version of Grease capture the spirit of the movie-the format by which the story is best known. From the accents of the actors to some standout vocal talents, the sound aspect of this production is one of its strengths. In particular, the voices of juniors Carolyn Hardin as Sandy and Matthew Patrick as Teen Angel/Vince Fontaine, respectively, are captivating and moving.

Paralleling the richness in sound is the accuracy of the faithfully-reproduced costumes. The T-Birds of Hoof 'n' Horn wear the same black leather jackets, white T-shirts and blue jeans as their Travolta-led counterparts, and the same is true of the Pink Ladies. Even the hairstyles of Frenchy and Jan are meticulously replicated-the characters look as if they could have stepped on-stage through a time portal from the '50s.

Even though the simplicity of the set calls for some slight imaginative effort on the part of the audience, a few key props ease the process. Taking an important role is Greased Lightning itself-the car owned by Kenickie for the sole purpose of picking up girls-as an endearing, red, undersized convertible equipped with stolen rims. Along with this are the minimal but adequate sets that include a bench, a table and a night stand. Although sparse, these props are artfully presented with effective lighting, an effect that smoothly draws the eye to the relevant areas on stage.

The casting of this play is also a major positive. It is tough to imagine two people more suited to the roles of Danny Zuko and Betty Rizzo than sophomore Matt Campbell and senior Kimberly Jerdan.

Tall, muscular and imposing, Campbell fits the bill perfectly as the leader of the T-Birds. Possessing a flair for dancing, Campbell pulls off the sometimes macho, sometimes yearning act of Danny as the character struggles to reconcile his position within the gang with his love for Sandy. Jerdan successfully brings all the sass and attitude that Rizzo's part requires, and like Campbell, is able to incorporate tenderness in a believable, multi-faceted character. This is especially noteworthy, as both Campbell and Jerdan are first-time actors for Hoof 'n' Horn. In Campbell's case, it is his first time acting in an official production of any kind.

All in all, this adaptation of Grease is incredibly upbeat, fun and undeniably "electrifying."

Grease will be performed in Reynolds Theater in the Bryan Center April 3-6, 10-13 and May 9-10. Tickest a $8.

Share and discuss “Hoof 'n' Horn shines with Grease” on social media.