Duke downs Spartans

Having captured just one victory in its three-game series against Clemson and losing a four-run ninth inning lead in that series finale, Duke found the perfect means to return to its winning ways: play an out-of-conference foe.

Duke (28-13-1) continued its dominance over non-conference opponents Tuesday night, defeating UNC-Greensboro 10-3 at UNCG Baseball Stadium. The Blue Devils' win gives them a perfect 22-0 record against out-of-conference competition.

"We were really glad to get back out there and play in the midweek," head coach Sean McNally said. "Our club responded in great fashion in playing a tight game across the board."

For Duke, an offensive explosion in the fourth inning turned out to be all the team needed to notch its fourth victory in six games.

First baseman Nate Freiman opened the decisive frame with a single to center field. Spartans pitcher Korv Judd beaned Jeremy Gould, setting up Gabriel Saade. The sophomore shortstop drilled the 0-1 pitch to right field for a double, scoring Freiman and advancing Gould to third. Jonathan Nicolla added to the drubbing, knocking Judd's pitch into right field and scoring both Gould and Saade for the 3-0 advantage. Although James White came in two outs later for UNC-Greensboro (24-15), the Blue Devils did not let up, as Alex Hassan capped the four-run inning with a single to center field.

Sophomore pitcher Will Currier did his part to hold the Spartans down, shutting them out for five innings before giving up two runs in the sixth and giving way to freshman Dennis O'Grady, who along with senior Ron Causey, held UNC-Greensboro to just one run the rest of the way.

Duke found itself in a familiar situation going into the ninth inning-ahead by four runs and still in control of the game. Batting first, however, the Blue Devils made sure that the Spartans would not get the chance to tie or win the game, tacking on four more runs to the board and putting the contest safely out of reach. Three UNC-Greensboro errors allowed Saade and sophomore Michael Ghizzoni to score on back-to-back plays, and a wild pitch later in the inning let freshman Jake Lemmerman score after sophomore Ryan McCurdy doubled home Tom Luciano.

"Anytime you've got a four-run lead, you want to get it to five so you can take away that threat of one swing tying it," McNally said. "If we can get to five we'll breathe a little easier, and we did."

Duke continues its midweek road trip at Davidson tonight before coming back home to host Maryland this weekend.

Share and discuss “Duke downs Spartans” on social media.