Cocktails, dressy attire mark classy social event

Approximately 1,000 Duke undergraduates, graduate students and faculty members filled the Doris Duke Center and Sarah P. Duke Gardens Wednesday to celebrate a beautiful spring night and the imminent end of the school year at the second-annual Duke Royale.

Students left their usual day attire in their dorm rooms and donned elegant suits and cocktail dresses for the Duke University Union-sponsored event that brought students and faculty together for a classy night complete with finger foods, cocktails, vine-draped walls, live jazz and even a Harry-Potter-esque magician.

"People really like dressing up so we decided to use a venue that no one had ever used before," said senior Katelyn Donnelly, former president of DUU. "It's supposed to be a fusion of everyone on campus. As an independent there are really few times a year I have the ability to dress up, and this is a great place where whatever your background or affiliation you can come and see friends and enjoy a nice evening."

Senior Rebecca Friedman, director of DUU's Special Projects committee, which organized the event, said there were extensive changes in staff, catering and decorating since last year's event. She emphasized, however, that the chic and relaxed atmosphere remained.

"The idea is to say come out, and no matter what group you're a part of dress up, have a good time, drink and be merry!" she said.

Many students appreciated the opportunity to attend an event that was open to the entire Duke community.

"It's a really nice event. I'm not in a sorority or involved in greek life at all so it was great to come dress up and hang out with everyone," one sophomore said.

Others were thankful for a break from the typical Duke weekend social scene and the ability to see their peers in a different light.

Duke Royale built upon the success of the Fall's Nasher Noir in a new push by the University to provide alternative social events for the Duke community.

"It's just nice to come out and see Duke in another atmosphere," sophomore Jessica So said. "I do the normal Shooters weekend thing but I like having the change of scenery, mingling and being grown up."

Some attendees said they had simpler-but equally important-reasons for attending Duke Royale.

"I think the free drinks and the free food were a good incentive by themselves," junior Jillian Tellez said.

The event was especially well-attended by seniors, not only because of the five open bars but also for the opportunity it offered to bond with their classmates and friends before graduation.

"I came out because I wanted to dress up," said senior Dewey Nguyen. "As a senior I wanted to be here for the last social occasion of the season to be with all my close friends."

Share and discuss “Cocktails, dressy attire mark classy social event” on social media.